* Skipping citations
@ 2008-03-12  6:34 Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-12  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have this vague memory that there is a way to set gnus
such that whenever you open an article it will attempt to
automatically scroll down to past any leading citations to
the new content -- or to do so if there are a lot of such
citations.  But I can't figure out what such a feature would
be called and haven't turned up anything like that yet in
searching.  Is there a function that scrolls past citations
that I can run in some kind of read-article-hook?

* Re: Skipping citations
@ 2008-03-13  9:21 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----[ (info "(gnus)Paging the Article") ]
| `SPACE'
|      Pressing `SPACE' will scroll the current article forward one page,
|      or, if you have come to the end of the current article, will
|      choose the next article (`gnus-summary-next-page').
|
|      If `gnus-article-skip-boring' is non-`nil' and the rest of the
|      article consists only of citations and signature, then it will be
|      skipped; the next article will be shown instead.  You can customize
|      what is considered uninteresting with `gnus-article-boring-faces'.
|      You can manually view the article's pages, no matter how boring,
|      using `C-M-v'.
`----

The search term I used is "skip" (from your subject):
in (info "(gnus)Top"), do `i skip RET'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Skipping citations
@ 2008-03-13  9:24 ` David
From: David @ 2008-03-13  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:
> I have this vague memory that there is a way to set gnus
> such that whenever you open an article it will attempt to
> automatically scroll down to past any leading citations to
> the new content -- or to do so if there are a lot of such
> citations.

You can hide or fold cited text. I use the following:

(setq gnus-article-skip-boring t
      gnus-treat-hide-citation t
      gnus-cited-lines-visible '(3 . 6))

See the doc strings for more information. You can fold/unfold the
citations with 'W W c'.

-David