From: Erik Arneson <g.e.gnus@erik.aarg.net>
Subject: Re: Can Gnus talk to Exchange?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:31:30 -0700	[thread overview]

On 20-Oct-2003, Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote:
> At work, I have Outlook which talks to an Exchange server.  You can
> guess that I wanted to use Gnus.  And I even found the host name of
> the server in the preferences somewhere, and I telneted to its port
> 143, and it seems to answer.  Good, you think.  Alas, I don't know how
> to log in.  I tried my Windows user name and password (I think I have
> a domain login and not a local login -- how can I find out?), but no
> go.

After connecting, send the string ". CAPABILITY" and take a look at the
various "AUTH=" strings it returns.  Those will tell you how to
authenticate to the server.

They may be using an Active Directory server, in which case you may see
"AUTH=GSSAPI".  In that case, you will need to use the Cyrus imtest
program and find some way to get your Active Directory kerberos ticket.

Outlook should somewhere have all the information you need.  Have you
tried a packet sniffer to see what kind of AUTH string it sends the IMAP
server?

--
;; Erik Arneson <spam@erik.aarg.net> AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C             <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;