* Additional software to read email with Gnus on Ubuntu?
@ 2009-01-26 22:16 thruxton
From: thruxton @ 2009-01-26 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi List,
I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls or msmtp
installed?

 Do I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these
things?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and the emacs-snapshot that includes Gnus v5.13
I am comfortable with fetchmail getting my emails and pointing Gnus to
my inbox, but as for sending email and using helper utilites I am not
sure what to install.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

* Re: Additional software to read email with Gnus on Ubuntu?
@ 2009-01-27 10:22 ` emacsnews
From: emacsnews @ 2009-01-27 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi thruxton,
            I have the same setup as you, and have (mostly) configured
            my gnus, but as you will soon learn, it is a loooong process
            (you keep finding more things you can do).
            For sending mail I use emacs' own smtpmail (included with
            emacs) since this gives me complete control; I can easily
            see/alter exactly what it's doing. I originally tried ssmtp
            then msmtp, but couldn't configure them exactly the way I wanted.
            I have the following tls related packages installed:
            gnutls-bin, guile-gnutls, libcurl3-gnutls, libgnutls26, and
            libgnutls-dev. I can't remember if they were actually needed
            by smtpmail since I installed them for ssmtp and msmtp, but
            they (the tls stuff) only use around 4 or 5mb.

--
aleblanc

* Many email clients in parallel [was: Additional software to read email with Gnus on Ubuntu?]
@ 2009-01-27 10:39 ` Andrzej Adam Filip
From: Andrzej Adam Filip @ 2009-01-27 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thruxton <psmerdon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
> but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
> I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
> use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls or msmtp
> installed?
>
>  Do I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these
> things?
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and the emacs-snapshot that includes Gnus v5.13
> I am comfortable with fetchmail getting my emails and pointing Gnus to
> my inbox, but as for sending email and using helper utilites I am not
> sure what to install.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Would you like to create configuration allowing you to use *multiple*
email clients/news readers in parallel?

e.g.
1) I prefer to install "local IMAP server" (e.g. dovecot) and use
   fetchmail to download messages from remote mailboxes into local
   imap folders (with sieve/procmail filtering and sorting).
2) You can use leafnode to download usenet newsgroups (from many
   sources) to local news spool also accessible via nntp

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.

* Re: Many email clients in parallel
@ 2009-01-28 17:29   ` Asgeir
From: Asgeir @ 2009-01-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Why don't get your mails with GNUS and let him sort them using the To/Cc
headers ? That's more simple but enougth efficient for a daily usage...

@ 2009-01-28 18:01     ` Andrzej Adam Filip
From: Andrzej Adam Filip @ 2009-01-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Asgeir <asgeir@free.fr> wrote:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> writes:
>> thruxton <psmerdon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would like to use Gnus to read email/newsgroups on my ubuntu laptop
>>> but am unsure what extra software I need to install to do so.
>>> I have home email, work email and gmail/yahoo mail to configure, most
>>> use ssl on the smtp end, do I need utilities like starttls or msmtp
>>> installed?
>>>
>>>  Do I need fetchmail & sendmail or does Gnus manage all of these
>>> things?
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and the emacs-snapshot that includes Gnus v5.13
>>> I am comfortable with fetchmail getting my emails and pointing Gnus to
>>> my inbox, but as for sending email and using helper utilites I am not
>>> sure what to install.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>>
>> Would you like to create configuration allowing you to use *multiple*
>> email clients/news readers in parallel?
>>
>> e.g.
>> 1) I prefer to install "local IMAP server" (e.g. dovecot) and use
>>    fetchmail to download messages from remote mailboxes into local
>>    imap folders (with sieve/procmail filtering and sorting).
>> 2) You can use leafnode to download usenet newsgroups (from many
>>    sources) to local news spool also accessible via nntp
>
> Why don't get your mails with GNUS and let him sort them using the To/Cc
> headers ? That's more simple but enougth efficient for a daily
> usage...

1) My gnus generates part of sieve script that does sorting for all
   email clients :-)

2) When I have tested a few email clients most of them offered  "very nice
   features absent in most other email clients". *For me* avoiding being
   tied to *one* email client is worth the effort required.

I do not suggest that using local IMAP is the best path for everyone but
I think it should be at least considered by many people.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : anfi@xl.wp.pl
After Goliath's defeat, giants ceased to command respect.