* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
       [not found] <1128162940.658088.211450@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
@ 2005-10-01 10:59 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-10-01 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Oct 2005 03:35:40 -0700, romeomedina@libero.it wrote:

> Then I go to the old topic to provide the solution I've found and...
> What a shame! The topic is closed, no further reply is possible any
> more.

Could you describe what you mean by "The topic is closed" and why you
think you can't post a followup?

Different newsservers have different retention times.

If you can't find one with a long enough span, you can always either
subscribe to the mailinglist or read it on gmane.

  Best regards,

--
 "Influences: NO"                                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
@ 2005-10-01 11:18   ` romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-10-01 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

All messages before 1 Sep 2005 don't have the 'Reply' button at their
end.
Maybe there's another way to reply...?

Rodolfo

* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
@ 2005-10-01 11:30     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-10-01 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Oct 2005 04:18:58 -0700, romeomedina@libero.it wrote:

> All messages before 1 Sep 2005 don't have the 'Reply' button at their
> end.
> Maybe there's another way to reply...?

I gather then that you are *not* using Gnus to read this
newsgroup/mailinglist?

It makes it quite a bit harder to help you, when you don't say
anything about how and with what you are trying to accomplish things.

  Best regards,

--
 "I wanted a computer, not a glorified fruit machine."        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
@ 2005-10-01 12:07       ` romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-10-01 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, I'm not using Gnus to read newsgroups, not even mail,
I'm just learning to use Gnus and am using it shortly to catch mail.
I should've said before, but forgot it might be important.
So, is it difficult to configure Gnus so to read gnu.emacs.gnus
with it?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
@ 2005-10-04  3:47         ` Barutan Seijin
From: Barutan Seijin @ 2005-10-04  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  2005.10.1, romeomedina@libero.it wrote:

> No, I'm not using Gnus to read newsgroups, not even mail,
> I'm just learning to use Gnus and am using it shortly to catch mail.
> I should've said before, but forgot it might be important.
> So, is it difficult to configure Gnus so to read gnu.emacs.gnus
> with it?

no, not at all.  I think it's quite a bit easier than configuring gnus
to read your mail.

First, point gnus at your newserver in your .gnus.  Like this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "your.news.host"))

Then, after starting gnus and letting it get the active file -- that
might take a while -- you can jump to gnu.emacs.gnus by hittin 'j' in
the Group buffer.  You can subscribe to it by hitting 'u'.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.  You can check the gnus
documentation to make sure.

--
Barutan Seijin -- barutanseijin@gmail.com

* Re: OT: About closed topics in the present newsgroup
@ 2005-10-04  9:32           ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-10-04  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks.

I put in ~/.gnus.el the following:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))

. Then I started Gnus and in server buffer I hit RET onto

     {nntp:news.gnus.org} (opened)

, placed point onto 'gnu.emacs.gnus' and hit 'u',
then 'q' and 'q' again to get back to the group buffer.
> From there I could enter the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.

Cheers,
Rodolfo