* Re: No more drafts for me
       [not found] ` <m3bsd2ptxs.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
@ 2002-04-02  7:42   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]     ` <vafy9g6e7t8.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-02  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schmitz <schmitz@23a.de> writes:

[...]

> I would suggest that you kill your unfinished messages with C-c C-k,
> then they shouldn't go to drafts. Only postponed messages (C-c C-d)
> should go to drafts and maybe the one you destroy by just killing the
> buffer.

I keep forgetting about the C-c C-k thing but really the normal (in
any other mode) `C-x k' should do the same thing.  A killed message is
not a draft.  My feeling is that anything but C-c C-d should not go to
drafts.  Its not billed as or named like some kind of undelete or
recycle baloney.  Even C-c C-s really should not go to drafts, but
prompt for file name or something.  C-c C-d should be the only way to
get a message to stay in drafts.

Another factor here is that until a few mnths ago (maybe a bit more)
C-x k did do the same thing as C-c C-k.

Why do we upstage a command C-x k that is time worn, well used and
well known as a buffer kill command?

kbk@shore.net (Kurt B. Kaiser) writes:

[...]

> yes, try dwim.el

he he ..

> Seriously, if you C-c C-s the buffer it will go to drafts.  Just don't
> save your idle thoughts ;)

Far as I know, this is not what is happening.

> I can't believe you will generate that much cruft once you understand
> why it's getting into drafts.

Its not a question of amount, but of not knowing why it is there.

I'll have to pay closer attention to what gets in there, but the last
thing I saw was a partial message that had been finished and posted.
I don't recall having C-c C-s or C-c C-d on it.  Only that it sat in a
compose buffer for a while ... maybe an hour, then C-c C-c.  But
somehow an unfinished version was retained in Drafts.

That is what I mean by bs.  I can't see why this stuff is in there.

> To clean up 'bs' go into the drafts group and process mark the stuff you
> don't want, then B DEL it.

Yes, I know how to delete messages.  That is not the problem.  What is
a problem, is finding stuff in there and not being sure if it got
mailed or what it is doing there.

> Drafts is your friend, it keeps you from accidently deleting
> unfinished work.

Also aware of the intent of drafts.  And far as I know it is for
intentionally saving a message in unfinished form for later
completion. Not as a failsafe for accidental deletion.

Hence the name `drafts', not undelete or recylce.

Something else is happening here.  I haven't documented it well,
mainly because it usually is a surprise to find something in there,
since I never use it intentionally.  Then its not so easy to retrace
how it got there.

In my case, it is only confusing, not helpfull.  I'll try to recreate
the situation and report better details.  It happens fairly often,
maybe once or twice a week, but always when I don't expect it.

It may have something to do with the `Rejected articles' feature
mentioned in gnus manual.  But I doubt it, since some of the messages I
see there, have obviously not been sent.

More likely some sloppyness of mine is at fault, but not sure what.
Other than C-c C-k, that is.

* Re: No more drafts for me
       [not found]     ` <vafy9g6e7t8.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-04-02 10:31       ` Martin Schmitz
       [not found]         ` <vpq8z861gjs.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
       [not found]       ` <m13cye7zum.fsf@reader.newsguy.com>
From: Martin Schmitz @ 2002-04-02 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I keep forgetting about the C-c C-k thing but really the normal (in
>> any other mode) `C-x k' should do the same thing.  A killed message is
>> not a draft.  My feeling is that anything but C-c C-d should not go to
>> drafts.
>
> But on the other hand: if you do C-x k on a normal buffer, you don't
> delete the file, either.
>
> So there are arguments in favor of both kinds of behavior.  Hm.

Hm. I've never seen that killing a mailbuffer with C-x k leads to that
mail stored in drafts, anyway.

--
  (e)mail-address and gpg-key at http://martins.zangpo.org/
or rot13 znegva-fpuzvgm@jro.qr and ask your favorite keyserver

* Re: No more drafts for me
       [not found]         ` <vpq8z861gjs.fsf@montrose.imag.fr>
@ 2002-04-02 11:53           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthieu Moy <MatthieuNOSPAM.Moy@imag.fr.invalid> writes:

> Martin Schmitz <DO-NOT-USE--see-my-signature@web.de> writes:
>
>> Hm. I've never seen that killing a mailbuffer with C-x k leads to that
>> mail stored in drafts, anyway.
>
> Saving with  C-x C-s and leads to  storing in drafts, and  then, C-x k
> doesn't remove it.

This is how it should be, shouldn't it?  Emacs has the same behavior
for other files.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: No more drafts for me
       [not found]       ` <m13cye7zum.fsf@reader.newsguy.com>
@ 2002-04-02 19:59         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-02 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> But then a C-x C-s should save somewhere besides drafts.  It would
> prevent confusion I thnk, if only C-x C-d did a draft save C-x C-s
> should prompt for a file name, so at least one would know immediately
> they hit the wrong keys unless you meant to save (not draftify).

That would be nice, except that it would interfere with the
auto-saving of the draft file, which is a desirable feature.

As for whether killing the buffer deletes the draft, it might as well
be configurable.

Sending should definitely delete the draft, but I've never had a draft
remain after sending, so I don't know what to do about that.

paul

* Re: No more drafts for me
       [not found]       ` <0whzo0i5fk2.fsf@epic14.Stanford.EDU>
@ 2002-04-05 16:33         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-05 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Palmer <bpalmer@leland.stanford.edu> writes:

> Martin Schmitz <DO-NOT-USE--see-my-signature@web.de> writes:
>
>> Brian Palmer <bpalmer@leland.stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>> > Is there an easy way of having the display for drafts show the To: line
>> > instead of the From: line? The draft summary mode is almost
>> > useless,and irritating, to me when I see a long list of messages with
>> > only the subject line to give me information.
>>
>> See the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
>>
>> Documentation:
>> *Regexp of From headers that may be suppressed in favor of To headers.
>>
>> You can customize this variable.
>>
>> Defined in `gnus-sum'.
>
> Hmm. It doesn't seem to be doing anything special for me (gnus
> 5.9.0). I'll poke at my set-up this weekend, I guess and see if I can
> figure out what's going wrong.

You used to have to have another variable set too.  Not sure if that
is still the case but the variable is:

(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^To:\\|^C[Cc]:\\|\
^Date:\\|^Message-ID:\\|Newsgroups:\\|^Keywords:\\|Gnus-Warning:")

Thosse are just my entrees but it should include at least `to'.

Check it with C-h v gnus-visible-headers <RET>