* Re: Stale NFS using nnmaildir
       [not found] <833cqqmqxe.fsf@login.math.unifi.it>
@ 2002-10-30  5:55 ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-10-30  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:

>I would like to use nnmaildir backend.  As far as I know, the main
>advantage of the maildir format is that it do not require lock, so it
>should be safe to keep the maildirs on an NFS partition.

please don't post this too often.

* Re: Stale NFS using nnmaildir
       [not found] ` <i74k7k0j9om.fsf@math4.unice.fr>
@ 2002-10-31 17:48   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-10-31 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

maggesi@math4.unice.fr (Marco.MAGGESI) wrote:
> One more question: is it safe to sync two maildir folders hosted in
> different machines (using rsync or unison[1])? I think so, just asking
> to be sure.

If you make changes sometimes on one machine and sometimes on the
other, you might have difficulty determining which side is right at
any given time.  But assuming you can figure that out, and assuming
you sync things so that all the contents of the maildir, including
.nnmaildir/*, are the same, you should be fine.  Beware that nnmaildir
uses lots of hard links; if your copying tool creates new files
instead, you'll be using lots more inodes.

paul

* Re: Stale NFS using nnmaildir
       [not found] <i74smypzcnj.fsf@math4.unice.fr>
@ 2002-10-29 16:42 ` Paul Jarc
       [not found] ` <i74k7k0j9om.fsf@math4.unice.fr>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-10-29 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

maggesi@math4.unice.fr (Marco.MAGGESI) wrote:
> However, while checking for new mail, I often get an error messages
> like this:
>
>   IO error reading /home/maggesi/mail-groups/misc/cur/_7mB.UYVv9.hermes:2,: \
>   Stale NFS file handle
>
> To read my mail I need to hit `g' several times until emacs is able
> to read all mail files.

This seems to be strictly an NFS problem, not related to Gnus.  If you
figure out what you can do to bring the NFS connection back to life
(maybe calling directory-files on an NFS directory would help), you
can add that action to gnus-get-new-news-hook so you'll only have to
type g once.

paul