* Re: nntp.sourceforge.net and SSL?
       [not found] <i56vg3ro9mu.fsf@mao.acc.umu.se>
@ 2002-10-25  2:15 ` those who know me have no need of my name
       [not found]   ` <i56iszqlqda.fsf@mao.acc.umu.se>
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-10-25  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:

>Anyone managed to connect to nntp.sourceforge.net (SSL, port 563) with
>Gnus?

a quick test seems okay, though since it has a very long active file (>92k
groups) it'll take a while the first time (maybe everytime).  be sure you
provide gnus with your sourceforge account credentials.

@ 2002-10-25 13:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

stktrc@yahoo.com writes:

>  (nntp-port-number "563")

Does (nntp-port-number 563) work?

kai

@ 2002-10-25 17:31     ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-10-25 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
>writes:
>> in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:

>> be sure you provide gnus with your sourceforge account credentials.

> (nntp-open-connection-function
>   nntp-open-ssl-stream)
> (nntp-port-number "563")
> (nntp-address "nntp.sourceforge.net"))
>
>in secondary select method it waits indefinitely on startup with
>
>Opening nntp server on sf...
>
>Am I correct in assuming that it should prompt me for authinfo (as
>I don't have a ~/.authinfo) *before* it starts downloading active list?

it should.

hmm.  could be a combination of bugs, partly in gnus and partly in the
lame-assed nntp server that sf uses.  when i first considered using it i
hadn't remembered to put my credentials in my authinfo-file, but since i
had patched gnus so that it displays the nntp commands it sends in the echo
area i saw it attempting to authenticate (as anonymous, which fails)
repeatedly (it really shouldn't retry more than once or twice), and that
would mean that most would see it stuck at the opening server message.