* tab completion for "short name" in .mailrc
@ 2009-02-24 18:58 John Velman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Velman @ 2009-02-24 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm setup for completion of the full address after I type in the "short
name" from .mailrc, but sometimes I've got a short name that I don't use
very often, and it would be nice to have tab completion.  For example,
I've got the "mutt-users" list aliased as muttusers.  (Of course now
that I've switched to gnus, I may never use this again, but for
example...) It would be nice to type mutt<tab> and have the list of
completions shown.

I've googled, and looked in the gnus manual, but can't find this
particular situation.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

John Velman

* Re: tab completion for "short name" in .mailrc
@ 2009-02-25 21:22 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found] ` <mailman.1884.1235674809.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-02-25 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:58:19 -0800 John Velman <velman@cox.net> wrote:

JV> I'm setup for completion of the full address after I type in the "short
JV> name" from .mailrc, but sometimes I've got a short name that I don't use
JV> very often, and it would be nice to have tab completion.  For example,
JV> I've got the "mutt-users" list aliased as muttusers.  (Of course now
JV> that I've switched to gnus, I may never use this again, but for
JV> example...) It would be nice to type mutt<tab> and have the list of
JV> completions shown.

JV> I've googled, and looked in the gnus manual, but can't find this
JV> particular situation.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

You've got to try BBDB.  It will do what you want, and much more.  Gnus
integration is seamless.

Ted

* Re: tab completion for "short name" in .mailrc
@ 2009-02-26  8:15 ` Vagn Johansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1884.1235674809.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2009-02-26  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

John Velman <velman@cox.net> writes:

> I'm setup for completion of the full address after I type in the "short
> name" from .mailrc, but sometimes I've got a short name that I don't use
> very often, and it would be nice to have tab completion.  For example,
> I've got the "mutt-users" list aliased as muttusers.  (Of course now
> that I've switched to gnus, I may never use this again, but for
> example...) It would be nice to type mutt<tab> and have the list of
> completions shown.

;;; mailabbrev.el --- abbrev-expansion of mail aliases

It is a part of emacs.

Maybe this snippet is all you need:

(defun  my-message-mode-hook ()
  (local-set-key (kbd "ESC TAB") 'mail-abbrev-complete-alias)
  (local-set-key (kbd "ESC a") 'mail-abbrev-insert-alias))

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my-message-mode-hook)

--
Vagn Johansen

* Re: tab completion for "short name" in .mailrc [Solved]
       [not found] ` <mailman.1884.1235674809.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-27 16:38   ` John Velman
From: John Velman @ 2009-02-27 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> writes:

> John Velman <velman@cox.net> writes:

[snip]
>> example...) It would be nice to type mutt<tab> and have the list of
>> completions shown.
>
> ;;; mailabbrev.el --- abbrev-expansion of mail aliases
>
> It is a part of emacs.
>

> Maybe this snippet is all you need:
>
> (defun  my-message-mode-hook ()
>   (local-set-key (kbd "ESC TAB") 'mail-abbrev-complete-alias)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "ESC a") 'mail-abbrev-insert-alias))
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my-message-mode-hook)

Thanks!  this was what I needed.

@ 2009-03-05 22:11   ` Shulei Zhu
From: Shulei Zhu @ 2009-03-05 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english