* Unable to fetch POP mail through firewall
@ 2003-07-14  2:25 Ron Grunwald
From: Ron Grunwald @ 2003-07-14  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I've been trying to configure Gnus to pop email from my Yahoo webmail
account, but havn't been successful so far. I think the problem may be
related to the firewall that my modem connection must pass through to
get to the outside world. Currently, when I start up Gnus, I get asked
for my Yahoo login password. After entering that, Gnus remains inactive
for a long time before displaying the message,

Mail source error ((file-error connection failed connection timed out pop.mail.yahoo.com POP)).  Continue? (yes or no)

In my ~/.gnus I have,

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.ecu.edu.au"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder "private"
        (nnfolder-directory "~/gnusMail/")
        (nnfolder-active-file "~/gnusMail/active"))))
(setq mail-sources
      '((file)
        (pop :server "pop.mail.yahoo.com"
             :port   "pop3"
             :user   "rongrw")))

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3 and Gnus 5.9.0.
I apologise if this is a FAQ, but how do you specify proxy/firewall details
in the ~/.gnus ccnfiguration file ?

Many thanks,

Ron.

Ron Grunwald
UNIX Software Development
Perth, Western Australia
Email: rongrw@yahoo.com.au
"I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem !"

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-07-14  2:25 UTC | newest]