* how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?
@ 2005-07-21 15:15 Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2005-07-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I currently send/receive email through an ssh tunnel to my ISP,
drizzle.com.  As far as gnus is concerned, the POP3 and SMTP servers
are both localhost, and ssh forwards the connections to drizzle.com.
Problem is, gnus puts headers with my home network's bogus domain name
into the mail, and so many receipients (hotmail, for one) categorize
my email as junk.

What variable(s) can I frob so that my outgoing emails will appear to
originate from miknrene@drizzle.com instead of from my home machine?

Thanks.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?
@ 2005-07-21 15:37 ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-07-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:07 on Jul 21 2005, Michael Slass said :

> What variable(s) can I frob so that my outgoing emails will appear to
> originate from miknrene@drizzle.com instead of from my home machine?

C-h v user-mail-address RET should help.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?
@ 2005-07-21 16:59   ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2005-07-21 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

>At 17:07 on Jul 21 2005, Michael Slass said :
>
>> What variable(s) can I frob so that my outgoing emails will appear to
>> originate from miknrene@drizzle.com instead of from my home machine?
>
>C-h v user-mail-address RET should help.
>
>--
>Sébastien Kirche

Yeah, you'd think that, but it doesn't help the message-id.  As it
turns out, the function `message-make-fqdn' gives priority to the
hostname of the machine over the domain name in your
`user-mail-address', so setting the latter doesn't help in the
composition of the message-id.

I wrote this advice to change that, and now my message ids get the
domain name from `user-mail-address'

(defadvice message-make-fqdn (around message-make-fqdn-around)
  "Give higher priority to domain from `message-user-mail-address'"
  (let* ((user-mail (message-user-mail-address))
	 (user-domain
	  (if (and user-mail
		   (string-match "@\\(.*\\)\\'" user-mail))
	      (match-string 1 user-mail))))
    (setq ad-return-value
          (if (and user-domain
                   (stringp user-domain)
                   (string-match message-valid-fqdn-regexp user-domain)
                   (not (string-match message-bogus-system-names user-domain)))
              user-domain
            (progn ad-do-it ad-return-value)))))

I'm still not sure whether I need to try to modify the code which
performs the SMTP transaction so that my computer will present itself
as the machine receiving the ssh connection, rather than as my bogus
machine name.
--

@ 2005-07-21 17:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-07-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 21 2005, Michael Slass wrote:

> Yeah, you'd think that, but it doesn't help the message-id.  As it
> turns out, the function `message-make-fqdn' gives priority to the
> hostname of the machine over the domain name in your
> `user-mail-address', so setting the latter doesn't help in the
> composition of the message-id.
>
> I wrote this advice to change that, and now my message ids get the
> domain name from `user-mail-address'

Why not set `message-user-fqdn'?

,----[ (info "(message)News Headers") ]
| `Message-ID'
|      This required header will be generated by Message.  A unique ID
|      will be created based on the date, time, user name (for the local
|      part) and the domain part.  For the domain part, message will look
|      (in this order) at `message-user-fqdn', `system-name',
|      `mail-host-address' and `message-user-mail-address' (i.e.
|      `user-mail-address') until a probably valid fully qualified domain
|      name (FQDN) was found.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how do I modify headers in outgoing email/articles?
@ 2005-07-21 18:32       ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2005-07-21 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

>Why not set `message-user-fqdn'?
>
>,----[ (info "(message)News Headers") ]
>| `Message-ID'
>|      This required header will be generated by Message.  A unique ID
>|      will be created based on the date, time, user name (for the local
>|      part) and the domain part.  For the domain part, message will look
>|      (in this order) at `message-user-fqdn', `system-name',
>|      `mail-host-address' and `message-user-mail-address' (i.e.
>|      `user-mail-address') until a probably valid fully qualified domain
>|      name (FQDN) was found.
>`----

That's perfect, thank you.

--