* how to access by gnus via a different port
@ 2012-06-09 12:46 wenpin cui
From: wenpin cui @ 2012-06-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello, guys,

       My company blocked standard port 119, so I can't visit usernet
       during working time. Does any body know how to fly over the
       firewall? Using a different port, for example, please tell me
       how.

       Thanks a lot.

* Re: how to access by gnus via a different port
@ 2012-06-09 13:00 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-06-09 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 20:46:40 +0800, wenpin wrote:

> My company blocked standard port 119, so I can't visit usernet during
> working time. Does any body know how to fly over the firewall? Using a
> different port, for example, please tell me how.

If your company doesn't block ssh, you could da as I do and ssh to my
home-machine and run my newsreader there.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Dem der sparker til noget luft i en parkeringskælder."      Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: how to access by gnus via a different port
@ 2012-06-09 13:21   ` wenpin cui
From: wenpin cui @ 2012-06-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dear adam,

    could you please tell me more detail?

@ 2012-06-09 13:43     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-06-09 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 21:21:52 +0800, wenpin wrote:

> could you please tell me more detail?

At work I execute the command "ssh home.example.com" to log in to my
machine at home (where "home.example.com" is exchanged for the real
hostname of my home machine).

Being logged in to the home machine, I start my newsreader; I go
something like "emacs -nw -f gnus". Then I read news.

You can only access Gmane's news server on the standard ports (i.e.
nntp, 119 and nntps, 563).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--