From: Durand via "Announcements and discussions for GNUS, the GNU Emacs Usenet newsreader \(in English\)" <info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:08:55 +0800	[thread overview]

    Durand> - Is it possible to set up an nntp server on my own
    Durand> virtual personal server, and let Gnus talk to that nntp
    Durand> server?  I presume this is possible, but I have no
    Durand> experiences in this field.

    Adam> Certainly.  That won't make mailing lists appear on your own
    Adam> nntp server, though, so that's an extra task to set
    Adam> up/figure out.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I know it will contain subtleties:
setting up an email server contains a lot of subtleties as well.

    Durand> - Is it possible to download the mailing list directly, as
    Durand> an mbox file or any other format that the mailing list
    Durand> provides, and use an ephemeral group to view the mailing
    Durand> list?

    Adam> Yes, if you have an mbox file, you can browse it in Gnus
    Adam> e.g.  by using G f in the *Group* buffer:

Thanks for the information.  That is exactly what I want!

Also thanks for letting me know how to quote the documention string
inside a mail.  It looks clean and beautiful.  :)

    Adam> [ 14 lines elided ... ]

    Adam> The traditional way of reading a mailing list is subscribing
    Adam> to it - then you receive a copy of every email somebody
    Adam> sends to the mailing list.  Emails that can be read in Gnus.
    Adam> Subscribing is usually as easy as sending an email to a
    Adam> special address, though sometimes you have to go through a
    Adam> web form.  This depends on the mailing list.

I hesitate to do this because I don't want to store the mailing list
in my mail inbox.  Per chance I don't want to subscribe to the mailing
list in the future.  If I subscribe to the list, then the only way
(that I know) to remove the mails from my mail inbox is to delete
them.  But, what if I want to read the unsubscribed mailing list again
in the future?  Re-subscribing to the list won't send me the old mails
again.  So I need some way to read the entire mailing list.

    Adam> Gmane is a system that subscribes to mailing lists and
    Adam> exposes them via nntp.  This can be very convenient, but if
    Adam> the mailing lists you are interested in aren't already on
    Adam> Gmane, you'll have to deal with getting them added via the
    Adam> web interface.

Thanks for the information.

    Durand> From what I heard, the mailing lists on the gmane server
    Durand> are supposed to be related to "GNU things"?

    Adam> Where have you heard that?  Gmane has all kinds of lists -
    Adam> as long as the owner of the list doesn't mind, any mailing
    Adam> list can be added.

Sorry for the uninformed saying.

    Durand> Of course I am not saying that gmane should allow people
    Durand> to add arbitrary mailing lists to the server; that makes
    Durand> no sense.

    Adam> That is literally what Gmane does.

I see.

    Durand> I am just looking for some way to control what I can view
    Durand> in Gnus.

    Adam> How are you not in control of that?

I mean I do not have the ability to freely manipulate the contents on
the server.  For example, I have to request to add some mailing lists
to the server.  How am I in control of that?  What if I want to
subscribe to some mailing list that I don't wish others to know that I
want to subscribe to?

Moreover, if I later don't want to subscribe to the mailing list,
could I remove the list from the gmane server?

By the way, I am kind of in doubt of how gmane works.  I mean: why can
users add arbitrary mailing lists to the server?  I think the server
only has a limited amout of spaces, so that the user can only add a
limited amount of mailing lists to the server?  Or does gmane know
some alchemical magic to handle an unlimited amount of subscriptions
to mailing lists?

    Emanuel> Indeed, since it isn't even "GNUS" anymore but Gnus which
    Emanuel> I believe to be a recursive acronym meaning "Gnus Network
    Emanuel> User Services".

Thanks for the information.  :)

--
Durand