* Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines
@ 2021-02-03  3:49 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-02-03  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I use multiple workstations and laptops. And obviously, I want to use
Emacs/Gnus on these machines. My questions is: is it enough to keep just
the following files/dirs rsync’ed between the machines:

~/.emacs.d
~/.gnus.el
~/.newsrc.eld (I have disabled other files in .gnus.el)
~/News
~/Mail
~/.authinfo.gpg

If not, then what else needs to be added? I have tried to created a
portable setup. i.e. I use nntp, nnimap, smtpmail-send-it, so that I
don’t have to install any other external program to manage my emails and
news articles.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

--
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid

* Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines
@ 2021-02-03  7:36 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2021-02-03  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aloha,

I also save .newsrc but your list is the similar to mine otherwise,
and I sync across 8 devices.

For my own use case since I use msmtp I sync the .msmtprc config file,
and similar for other tools.

However one difference might be that I keep no machine-local storage
of mail/articles. You said you use IMAP and I do the same but
everything resides on the server.
I've had no problems at all which is pretty amazing considering the
number and types of devices I keep in sync using rsync and a cloud
service (costing about $18 a year and well worth it). The big caveats
are to only use one device at a time, and to remember to sync! I
almost always remember to up-sync but sometimes I get impatient and
forget to down-sync.

I am careful, with rsync, to use the backup option. I have yet to lose
any information despite doing a few bone-headed things.

Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines
@ 2021-02-03 12:10   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-02-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> I also save .newsrc but your list is the similar to mine otherwise,
> and I sync across 8 devices.

I think your use-case is pretty good stress-test. Thanks for encouraging
me.

> However one difference might be that I keep no machine-local storage
> of mail/articles. You said you use IMAP and I do the same but
> everything resides on the server.

My ~/Mail directory is from the time when I experimented with nnml and
mail-sources (POP3).

Oh! BTW, I still use nnml for local cron jobs. Any idea, how these are
going to be sync’ed? I guess, if I am careful with the up-sync/down-sync
things then it will be ok; as you have mentioned below.

> I've had no problems at all which is pretty amazing considering the
> number and types of devices I keep in sync using rsync and a cloud
> service (costing about $18 a year and well worth it). The big caveats
> are to only use one device at a time, and to remember to sync! I
> almost always remember to up-sync but sometimes I get impatient and
> forget to down-sync.

Any specific options to rsync that might add to the comfort? Or is it
just okay to ‘rsync <src> <dest>’?

--
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid