* how could gnus display the Gmail Labels X-GM-LABELS?
@ 2021-01-23 18:27 physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus

Hello,
i want to view the labels from gmail. A while ago, someone explains that
they are known as X-GM-LABELS.
But how could i display them in gnus summary or article buffer?
here is my relevant config, as far as i know.

(setq gnus-extra-headers '(To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS))
(setq nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

Regards
Poul

* Re: how could gnus display the Gmail Labels X-GM-LABELS?
@ 2021-01-23 18:33 ` Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english
From: Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english @ 2021-01-23 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus; +Cc: Clemens Schüller, gnus

Hello!

> i want to view the labels from gmail. A while ago, someone explains that
> they are known as X-GM-LABELS.
> But how could i display them in gnus summary or article buffer?
> here is my relevant config, as far as i know.
>
> (setq gnus-extra-headers '(To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS))
> (setq nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq gnus-visible-headers
      '( "^From:"
         "^Newsgroups:"
         "^Subject:"
         "^Date:"
         "^Message-ID:"
         "^Supersedes:"
         "^Followup-To:"
         "^Reply-To:"
;;       "^Summary:"
;;       "^Keywords:"
;;       "^Importance:"
         "^To:"
         "^Cc:"
         "^Bcc:"
;;       "^Gnus-Warning:"
         "^X-Face-Img:"
         "^User-Agent:"
         "^X-Mailer:"
         "^X-Mailreader:"
         "^X-Newsreader:"
         "^X-User-Agent:"
;;       "^X-Now-Playing:"
;;       "^Content-Type:"
         "^X-Spam-Status:"))
#+end_src

All Headers are shown, when you press t

--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: how could gnus display the Gmail Labels X-GM-LABELS?
@ 2021-01-23 19:05   ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english
  Cc: Clemens Schüller, physiculus

Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english <info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
writes:
Hello,
thanks for the quick post.
But here are no labels visible...
after pressing t.

I insert the X-GM-LABELS to gnus-visible-headers.

Regards
Poul

@ 2021-01-25  4:37   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-01-25  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english
  Cc: Clemens Schüller, physiculus

writes:

> All Headers are shown, when you press t

I prefer this approach. Rest of the time I just use Gnus defaults.

* Re: how could gnus display the Gmail Labels X-GM-LABELS?
@ 2021-01-25  4:40     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-01-25  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus
  Cc: Clemens Schüller, Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> But here are no labels visible...
> after pressing t.
>
> I insert the X-GM-LABELS to gnus-visible-headers.

Are you sure this header is there in Gmail messages. I just check a few
of my emails (show original) and could not find X-GM-LABELS in any of
those.

It could be something that Gmail might be using when filtering on server
side. I don’t use server side filtering so may be this header is not
there in my emails.

Just check at your end.

* Re: how could gnus display the Gmail Labels X-GM-LABELS?
@ 2021-01-25 17:49       ` physiculus
From: physiculus @ 2021-01-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus
  Cc: Clemens Schüller, Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english

Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> writes:
Hello,
i read about it this:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Support-for-IMAP-Extensions.html#Support-for-IMAP-Extensions

6.3.4 Support for IMAP Extensions
If you’re using Google’s Gmail, you may want to see your Gmail labels when reading your mail. Gnus can give you this information if you ask for ‘X-GM-LABELS’ in the variable gnus-extra-headers. For example:

(setq gnus-extra-headers
      '(To Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS))
This will result in Gnus storing your labels in message header
      structures for later use. The content is always a parenthesized
      (possible empty) list.

But unfortunately i don't understand, what to do with it.
Does Gnus show them, if availabe?
Or should someone create code to use it?
I don't know.

FYI: As far as i read on google developer sites, the folders Marked,
Sent, Important and so on, are also labels. Therefore they should be
displayed by gnus.
Perhaps gnus do not decode the labels??

Regards
Poul

@ 2021-01-26 18:14         ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2021-01-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: physiculus
  Cc: Clemens Schüller, Clemens Schüller via info-gnus-english

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Support-for-IMAP-Extensions.html#Support-for-IMAP-Extensions
>
> 6.3.4 Support for IMAP Extensions
> If you’re using Google’s Gmail, you may want to see your Gmail labels
> when reading your mail. Gnus can give you this information if you ask
> for ‘X-GM-LABELS’ in the variable gnus-extra-headers. For example:
>
> (setq gnus-extra-headers
>       '(To Newsgroups X-GM-LABELS))
> This will result in Gnus storing your labels in message header
>       structures for later use. The content is always a parenthesized
>       (possible empty) list.

Probably Google has changed the headers and the Gnus documentation is
not updated.