* gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-08-29 14:45 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-08-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I just compiled emacs 24.2, and when starting gnus I get these strange
messages:

Reindexing the Gnus registry (tracked change)
Initializing the registry
Reading Gnus registry from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio...
The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one
Remaking the Gnus registry
Reindexing the Gnus registry (tracked change)
Opening connection to inria via shell...
Reading /Users/schmitta/.newsrc.eld...
Reading Gnus registry from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio...
The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one
Remaking the Gnus registry
Reindexing the Gnus registry (tracked change)
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
nnimap read 0k from inria
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Warning: The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one; The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one

Somehow it seems to be remaking the registry, but each time I launch
emacs, I get the warning again.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? (I searched
about this error and could only find problem when migrating from older
emacsen.)

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-08-30 11:24 ` Alan Schmitt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7908.1346504390.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-08-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Somehow it seems to be remaking the registry, but each time I launch
> emacs, I get the warning again.

As a followup, I also tried deleting the .gnus.registry.eioio file. I
still get the same error, no new file is created, and moved messages
cannot be found.

@ 2012-09-01 12:59   ` Alan Schmitt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7908.1346504390.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Somehow it seems to be remaking the registry, but each time I launch
>> emacs, I get the warning again.
>
> As a followup, I also tried deleting the .gnus.registry.eioio file. I
> still get the same error, no new file is created, and moved messages
> cannot be found.

After relaunching emacs a few times, I don't get the error anymore
(starting over for the registry).

However message lookup no longer works. Here is my configuration:

(setq
 gnus-registry-split-strategy 'majority
 gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("Junk" t)
                                ("TrainSpam" t)
                                ("notmuch" t)
                                ("Trash" t)
                                ("Chats" t)
                                ("Contacts" t)
                                ("Emailed Contacts" t)
                                ("Notes" t))
 gnus-registry-max-entries nil
 ;; this is the default
 gnus-registry-track-extra '(sender subject))

(gnus-registry-initialize)

(setq gnus-refer-article-method
      '(current
        (nnregistry)))

Has anyone managed to get nnregistry to work on 24.2?

@ 2012-09-05 14:11     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-09-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Has anyone managed to get nnregistry to work on 24.2?

I don't use the registry myself, but I've seen a lot of other people
talking about it, so I would assume so.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Emacs

* Re: gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-09-05 19:08     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-09-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Alan Schmitt writes:
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>>
>>> Somehow it seems to be remaking the registry, but each time I launch
>>> emacs, I get the warning again.
>>
>> As a followup, I also tried deleting the .gnus.registry.eioio file. I
>> still get the same error, no new file is created, and moved messages
>> cannot be found.
>
> After relaunching emacs a few times, I don't get the error anymore
> (starting over for the registry).
>
> However message lookup no longer works.

Do you have manually installed CEDET by any chance?

-David

* Re: gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-09-06  6:23       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-06  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Has anyone managed to get nnregistry to work on 24.2?
>
> I don't use the registry myself, but I've seen a lot of other people
> talking about it, so I would assume so.

Thanks, I'll keep trying to make it work. (As 24.2 is fairly recent, it
may not have been noticed yet. Everything used to work on 24.1.)

@ 2012-09-06  6:24       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-06  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Do you have manually installed CEDET by any chance?

No. (I even had to go look up what it was.)

Thanks for the suggestion,

@ 2012-09-06 18:33         ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-09-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Alan Schmitt writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> Do you have manually installed CEDET by any chance?
>
> No. (I even had to go look up what it was.)

OK. Could you please also check your *Messages* buffer if you maybe see
the warning

"Unsafe call to `eieio-persistent-read'."

If it is there, it should immediately precede the Gnus registry error.

-David

* Re: gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-09-10  6:18           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-10  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Alan Schmitt writes:
>> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>>
>>> Do you have manually installed CEDET by any chance?
>>
>> No. (I even had to go look up what it was.)
>
> OK. Could you please also check your *Messages* buffer if you maybe see
> the warning
>
> "Unsafe call to `eieio-persistent-read'."
>
> If it is there, it should immediately precede the Gnus registry error.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the only errors I get are:

Reading Gnus registry from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio...
The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one
Remaking the Gnus registry
Reindexing the Gnus registry (tracked change)
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
nnimap read 0k from inria
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Warning: The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one; The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one

at startup, and

nnregistry: requesting article `<946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>' in group `nil'
Couldn't fetch article <946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>

when I tried to find an article.

No file "~/.gnus.registry.eioio" exists nor is created.

@ 2012-09-26 19:59             ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2012-09-26 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Warning: The Gnus registry could not be loaded from
> ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one; The Gnus registry could
> not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one
[...]
> nnregistry: requesting article `<946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>' in group `nil'
> Couldn't fetch article <946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>
>
> when I tried to find an article.
>
> No file "~/.gnus.registry.eioio" exists nor is created.

So, I tried to set up gnus-registry; I used the same settings Alan gave
and saw the same behavior:

"The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio,
creating a new one"

It seems the db is being created by gnus-registry-remake-db, but never
actually saved to the file. Pressing 's' in the *Group* buffer fixed
that (gnus-registry-save is hooked into gnus-save-newsrc-hook).

Should the docs mention explicitly that a new made db must be saved
either with M-x gnus-registry-save or 's' in the *Group* buffer?

Just quitting gnus seems to execute gnus-save-newsrc without the
optional force, the hook is not executed afaict and gnus-registry-save
is not called: gnus-registry-cache-file is not written to disk.

I hope that makes sense ...

Memnon

* Re: gnus.registry.eioio when migrating from emacs 24.1 to 24.2
@ 2012-09-27  6:53               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-27  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Warning: The Gnus registry could not be loaded from
>> ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one; The Gnus registry could
>> not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio, creating a new one
> [...]
>> nnregistry: requesting article
>> <946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>' in group `nil'
>> Couldn't fetch article <946B1446-4366-4076-ABF3-55655700E365@inria.fr>
>>
>> when I tried to find an article.
>>
>> No file "~/.gnus.registry.eioio" exists nor is created.
>
> So, I tried to set up gnus-registry; I used the same settings Alan gave
> and saw the same behavior:
>
> "The Gnus registry could not be loaded from ~/.gnus.registry.eioio,
> creating a new one"
>
> It seems the db is being created by gnus-registry-remake-db, but never
> actually saved to the file. Pressing 's' in the *Group* buffer fixed
> that (gnus-registry-save is hooked into gnus-save-newsrc-hook).
>
> Should the docs mention explicitly that a new made db must be saved
> either with M-x gnus-registry-save or 's' in the *Group* buffer?
>
> Just quitting gnus seems to execute gnus-save-newsrc without the
> optional force, the hook is not executed afaict and gnus-registry-save
> is not called: gnus-registry-cache-file is not written to disk.
>
> I hope that makes sense ...

As a followup, following Memnon's advice, I discovered that sometimes
links did not work because the .gnus.registry.eioio was out of date.
doing a save as explained above fixes it.

Alan