From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
Subject: Re: do i need a .newrc file?
Date: 03 Jan 2004 18:38:20 -0600	[thread overview]

leo <leo@bella.local> writes:

> hi there
>
> the gnus manual talks about the .newrc file. (quote: "Now, you all
> know about the `.newsrc' file.")
>
> well, on my system (mac os x) is no .newsrc file in my home
> directory. and gnus doesn't create one. it only creates a
> .newsrc-dribble file, although `gnus-save-newsrc-file' is set to t.

Are you using Emacs/Gnus under Terminal, X11 or Aqua?  Not that it
should make a difference, actually.  I've used all three, currently
am using it under X11 because it just works best that way IMHO.

> i guess there's something worng because when i start up gnus it asks
> me to read an auto-save file...
>
> any idea what's a clean setup regarding the .newrc file?

Well, it's ".newsrc" not ".newrc" so check to make sure that you're
not expecting a nonexistent file.  Also, Gnus uses ".newsrc.eld" for
many of its functions- actuallyusing .newsrc.eld more than .newsrc.

IIRC .newsrc should be created when you subscribe to your
newsgroups.  Have you done that step?  .newsrc.eld should be created
the first time you properly quit Gnus (type a lower case q and then
answer with a lower case y when Gnus asks you if you really want to
stop reading news).  If you quit improperly, then Gnus creates an
auto-save file (.newsrc-dribble or some such).

If you haven't seen it, www.gnus.org has an excellent and very
convenient manual about Gnus.  It will answer most of your questions
and tell you all sorts of things that you can do with Gnus.