* Re: Gnus can not connect to server
       [not found] <m2bs9g9cns.fsf@karfiol.glp.de>
@ 2002-07-16 18:22 ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]   ` <219750c.0207250320.4b5232d5@posting.google.com>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-07-16 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald Fischer <rovf@feriasonline.pt.invalid> wrote:
> Though it sill runs fine as long as the internet connection is
> running, Gnus does not work when I try to access the News at a time
> the internet connection is disconnected: I can not post, I can not
> fetch new articles, nothing; and I do not get an error message, it
> simply hangs.
>
> Of course I can do a ^G, but on the next try, behaviour is exactly the
> same. And it is worse because once I have entered this state, I can
> not revive it anymore, even if the Internet Connection is
> *established* by now.

Maybe C-g put the server in the "denied" state; Gnus will not try to
open a denied server.  You can type ^ in the *Group* buffer to reach
the *Server* buffer.  Then type C and O on the server to close and
open it.  Then type q to exit the *Server* buffer.

paul

@ 2002-07-25 15:50     ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]       ` <219750c.0207252238.1566045d@posting.google.com>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-07-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer) wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote in message news:<m3adorilbk.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>...
>> Maybe C-g put the server in the "denied" state; Gnus will not try to
>> open a denied server.
>
> This can't be the reason, because
>
> (1) Gnus *first* hung, and only *then* I typed ^G
>
> (2) That strange behaviour is specific to the news server: On some
> news servers, it occurs always, while on others it never occurs.

This does not prove that the server is not being put into the "denied"
state.  It's true that the first hang still needs another explanation,
but if you check the *Server* buffer and see that the sever is denied,
then closing and opening it will save you having to restart Gnus to
recover, assuming you can get your connection back up in the meantime.
The fact that you still can't contact the server even after the
connection comes back strongly suggests that the server is denied.

paul

* Re: Gnus can not connect to server
       [not found]         ` <vafit32n2x9.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-07-27 14:18           ` Ronald Fischer
       [not found]             ` <vafvg715j15.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Ronald Fischer @ 2002-07-27 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann wrote in message news:<vafit32n2x9.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>...
> ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer) writes:
>
> > There is no *Server* buffer at all!!!!
>
> From the *Group* buffer, hit `^' to go to the *Server* buffer.

I see. This works.

The server then (i.e. when Gnus went to the "dead" state as described
previously in the thread) looks like this:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nntp:news.space.net} (opened)

This means, that the news server is not in "denied" state.
Nevertheless,
it can't re-connect from Gnus (though it can easily from, say,
Netscape Messenger).

Further, even if I manually establish a connection (by, say, running
'ping' from an xterm), Gnus stays stuck (in my original posting, I
had erroneously written that in this case, Gnus would continue to work
properly - but this was either pure luck, or a misobservation).

Could it be that Gnus, when it starts, stores some information about
the server, which it assumes to be constant during the whole session?
And if my router disconnects, and reconnects later, some parameters
changed (for example, the IP address assigned to me is likely to be
different on every dial in, because I don't have an ISP who would
provide me with a fixed IP address). Any other
things I could ty to track down that nasty problem?

Ronald

@ 2002-07-31  7:26               ` Ronald Fischer
From: Ronald Fischer @ 2002-07-31  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai   =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

> ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer) writes:
> From there you can use `C' to close the server and `O' to open it
> again.  (The server on the line where the cursor is.)

This does indeed solve the problem!!!!

Do you see a way to automate this a bit?

For example, how could I create the server buffer automatically
when gnus starts?

        (defun (conf-gnus) "gnus with server buffer"
                ; ???? what to put here????)

        (add-hook 'gnus-started-hook 'conf-gnus)

Then, as a maximum of comfort, I would like to have an interactive
function which switches to the server buffer, and closes and reopens
the server, and switches back.

Buffer switching seems to be easy, but how would I tackle the
server handling?

Ronald
--
To reduce spam in my inbox, the address given in the Reply-To: header is
not guaranteed to live longer than 1 month after the article was

* Re: Gnus can not connect to server
@ 2002-08-01  6:36                 ` Ronald Fischer
From: Ronald Fischer @ 2002-08-01  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald Fischer <rovf@feriasonline.pt.invalid> writes:

> For example, how could I create the server buffer automatically
> when gnus starts?
>
>         (defun (conf-gnus) "gnus with server buffer"
>                 ; ???? what to put here????)
>
>         (add-hook 'gnus-started-hook 'conf-gnus)

Sorry, I should have taken more care about correct syntax here. Well,
let's rephrase:

So far, I came to the solution to put into .gnus a function

(defun mk-gnus-server-buffer () "Add *Server* buffer to gnus"
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
	   (gnus-group-enter-server-mode))
)

The idea is that this function could create a server-buffer if
automatically. I could then put it into gnus-started-hook to have the
server buffer created.

Interestingly, the save-excursion does not work as expected.  From the
documentation, I concluded that it should save the current buffer, and
restore it in the end; but when mk-gnus-server-buffer is executed,
Gnus switches to the server buffer and stays there, and I have to
switch back manually.

Ronald