* Re: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, e
       [not found] <mailman.7058.1158528913.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-17 21:46 ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2006-09-17 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Christian Grove <grove@sslug.dk> writes:

> I've been using gnus for news and email for many years. Recently the
> disk my homedirectory is on suffered a partial crash (it's on linux lvm,
> and one of three disks died). Emacs with gnus was running (in a screen)
> when it happended.
>
> Since then gnus has worked fine as longer as it can't access a
> particular newsserver (my own), either because the server isn't running,
> or because I've commented out the address in my .gnus. But when my
> newsserver is available gnus just says "Wrong type argument:
> number-or-marker-p, e" during startup, and stops.
>
> I don't find that error message very helpful, so I'm hoping some of you
> can give me an idea of what to look for and where - or possibly a way to
> fix the problem.

Turn on debugging (M-x toggle-debug-on-error), try this again, and
tell us in more detail what the error is.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, e
@ 2006-09-18 22:12   ` Henrik Christian Grove
From: Henrik Christian Grove @ 2006-09-18 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Henrik Christian Grove <grove@sslug.dk> writes:
>
> Hi Henrik,
>
>> But when my newsserver is available gnus just says "Wrong type
>> argument: number-or-marker-p, e" during startup, and stops.
>>
>> I don't find that error message very helpful, so I'm hoping some of
>> you can give me an idea of what to look for and where - or possibly a
>> way to fix the problem.
>
> Put
>
>   (setq debug-on-error t)
>
> into your ~/.emacs. If the error happens again, it will enter the
> debugger and a backtrace will be displayed. This should point you to
> where the error occurs.

Indeed.

The output from the debugger (I haven't taken the complete lines of
bytecode, one of them was 1700+ chars long, and I doubt anyone would
find them interesting):
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p e)
  byte-code("Æ^H!\210eb\210Çp!ÈÉÊ\217È^Y^Z^[\nËW\203
  ^@ÌÍ\n\"\210\202\217^@\nÎU\203k^@ÏÈ^\^]Ð \210Ñ
  q\210eb\210m\204b^@ÒÓ!\203\\^@ÔË!^N^_\230\203\\^@ÕÖÔ×!!^K\"\211^T\203\\^@\fÖÔØ!!¡\210Øy\210\2024^@Ù \210Ï^Q*\202$
  gnus-agent-read-agentview("/home/grove/News/agent/nntp/ogel/debianforum.snak/.agentview")
  gnus-cache-file-contents("/home/grove/News/agent/nntp/ogel/debianforum.snak/.agentview" gnus-agent-file-loading-cache gnus-agent-read-agentview)
  gnus-agent-load-alist("nntp+ogel:debianforum.snak")
  gnus-agent-get-local("nntp+ogel:debianforum.snak")
  gnus-agent-possibly-alter-active("nntp+ogel:debianforum.snak" (42
  . 81))
  gnus-activate-group("nntp+ogel:debianforum.snak" scan)
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("^H\204^N^@ \204^N^@Æ
  \210\202^^@ÇÈ!\210É\n!^S\f\204^^^@^M\203!^@Ê \210^N^^\203.^@Ë
  \210ÌÍÎ\"\210^N^_\2038^@ÏÐÑ\"\210ÏÒÓ\"\210ÔÕ^N ^H#\210ÇÖ!\210× \210Ø^N
  !\210Ù \210ÚÛ!\210Ü \210ÇÝ!\210Õ\207" [dont-c$
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

and News/agent/nntp/ogel/debianforum.snak/.agentview is seriously
damaged, the contents (as less displays it):
l^@e^@ ^@S^@e^@c^@u^@r^@i^@

not exactly your average .agentview file, luckily it's even a
extremely-low-traffic and low-interest group.

It's too late for me now, to try and fix this, and see if there are
other problems, but now I know how to get on with it. Thank you to both
you and Jesse.

.Henrik

--
"Det er fundamentalt noget humanistisk vås, at der er noget,
 der hedder blød matematik."

* Re: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, e
@ 2006-09-17 21:54 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-09-17 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Christian Grove <grove@sslug.dk> writes:

Hi Henrik,

> But when my newsserver is available gnus just says "Wrong type
> argument: number-or-marker-p, e" during startup, and stops.
>
> I don't find that error message very helpful, so I'm hoping some of
> you can give me an idea of what to look for and where - or possibly a
> way to fix the problem.

Put

  (setq debug-on-error t)

into your ~/.emacs. If the error happens again, it will enter the
debugger and a backtrace will be displayed. This should point you to
where the error occurs.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

* Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, e
@ 2006-09-17 13:01 Henrik Christian Grove