* HELP: Sorting by score
@ 2015-12-22 13:57 Sebastian Christ
From: Sebastian Christ @ 2015-12-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi list,

currently I'm sorting the summary buffer by score and hiding
threads. For the Emacs Mailing List I get this summary buffer:

  31    Today, 06:39         John Wiegley                1  Re: smart indentation for SQL files
  31    Today, 06:30         John Wiegley                1  Re: ox-freemind.el
  9     Yesterday, 19:10     Eli Zaretskii               2  Re: Add FIXME comment re stack overflow and modules
  9     Yesterday, 18:10     Eli Zaretskii               2  Re: Emacs-25: stop-process  has no effect on linux
  9     Yesterday, 18:18     Eli Zaretskii               1  Re: Should substitute-command-keys remove text properties of strings containing quotes?
  0     Today, 06:36         Richard Stallman            2  Re: lax whitespace search
  10    Today, 11:36         Oleh Krehel                 2  Did anyone else have trouble getting a fencepost.gnu.org account?
  20    Yesterday, 22:22     Fabrice Popineau            6  Emacs master, w32/w64
  0     Today, 04:36         Stefan Monnier              1  Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 57f2225: Add FIXME comment re stack overflow and modules
  0     Today, 04:32         Stefan Monnier              1  Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Reproducible builds
  -4    Yesterday, 21:26     Alan Mackenzie              1  Re: Git help requested: "git stash pop" is doing an unwanted "git add". Why?

The first number is the the score for this thread. My assumption was
that the threads scored with 10 and 20 would be listed before the
threads scored with 9. Is my assumption false? Or did I miss some
configuration?

This is my configuration:

  (setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject
        gnus-summary-gather-subject-limit 'fuzzy
        gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date
        gnus-thread-ignore-subject nil
        gnus-thread-hide-subtree t
        gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
                                     gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date
                                     gnus-thread-sort-by-score)
        gnus-article-sort-functions '(gnus-article-sort-by-number
                                      gnus-article-sort-by-score))

Thanks in advance.

-- Sebastian

* Re: HELP: Sorting by score
@ 2015-12-27 15:30   ` Sebastian Christ
From: Sebastian Christ @ 2015-12-27 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

  > What I discovered was that the set of messages that were used to
  > calculate the thread score was different from the set of messages that
  > were grouped together for display.  The first set seemed to be
  > determined by header lines (probably some combination of References and
  > In-Reply-To).  The second set seemed to be determined by a shared
  > subject.

This is interesting. I've changed sorting to use
`gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score' which fixed some things. But after
reading this I think i should change
'gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function' as well.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian (Rudolfo) Christ
http://rudolfochrist.github.io

* Re: HELP: Sorting by score
       [not found] <mailman.376.1450793114.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-12-27  0:59 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2015-12-27  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Christ <rudolfo.christ@gmail.com> writes:

> The first number is the the score for this thread. My assumption was
> that the threads scored with 10 and 20 would be listed before the
> threads scored with 9. Is my assumption false? Or did I miss some
> configuration?

Awhile back I noticed something similar, where the order of threads
was inconsistent with their score.  My configuration is somewhat
different from yours, but perhaps it's the same root cause.

What I discovered was that the set of messages that were used to
calculate the thread score was different from the set of messages that
were grouped together for display.  The first set seemed to be
determined by header lines (probably some combination of References and
In-Reply-To).  The second set seemed to be determined by a shared
subject.

HTH,
mike