* Line Wrapping set to Word Wrap in Summary Buffer - how to permanently change to Truncate Long Lines?
@ 2015-12-01  9:10 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-01  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi

For some reason which I do not understand, the Gnus instance is always
switching back to "Word Wrap" in the summary buffer. Previously it was
staying at "Truncate long lines".

If I open a new Gnus instance, it is set to "Word Wrap", but a new
instance of emacs (same emacs.el file, same customization) is not.

How can I bring back the previous behavior line truncating mode for all
GNUS buffer?

Thanks,

Rainer.
--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Line Wrapping set to Word Wrap in Summary Buffer - how to permanently change to Truncate Long Lines?
@ 2015-12-01 18:14 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-12-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> For some reason which I do not understand, the Gnus
> instance is always switching back to "Word Wrap" in
> the summary buffer. Previously it was staying at
> "Truncate long lines".
>
> If I open a new Gnus instance, it is set to "Word
> Wrap", but a new instance of emacs (same emacs.el
> file, same customization) is not.
>
> How can I bring back the previous behavior line
> truncating mode for all GNUS buffer?

Try this:

    (set-default 'truncate-lines t)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Line Wrapping set to Word Wrap in Summary Buffer - how to permanently change to Truncate Long Lines?
@ 2015-12-02  9:30   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> For some reason which I do not understand, the Gnus
>> instance is always switching back to "Word Wrap" in
>> the summary buffer. Previously it was staying at
>> "Truncate long lines".
>>
>> If I open a new Gnus instance, it is set to "Word
>> Wrap", but a new instance of emacs (same emacs.el
>> file, same customization) is not.
>>
>> How can I bring back the previous behavior line
>> truncating mode for all GNUS buffer?
>
> Try this:
>
>     (set-default 'truncate-lines t)

All this does not work if one sets global-visual-line-mode to 1 in a
different buffer...

Found it, changed it to visual-line-mode and everything is working
again.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2015-12-02 17:23       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-12-02 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> All this does not work if one sets
>> global-visual-line-mode to 1 in a different
>> buffer...
>>
>> Found it, changed it to visual-line-mode and
>> everything is working again.
>
> ... do you really want `visual-line-mode' in a Gnus
> summary buffer?

No - I don't want it - I had it for a different buffer.

> Anyway, instead of using defaults, it can be sensible
> to set up things like this on a per-mode basis.
> Especially since you mention the `gnus-summary-mode'
> in particular probably this is what you should do.
>
> For example, here is what I do for the HTML and XML
> modes - as you see I disable `visual-line-mode' for
> each.
>
> You can do the same (or enable it) with
> `gnus-summary-mode-hook', if need be.
>
> ;; HTML
> (defvar html-mode-map)
> (defun html-mode-hook-f ()
>   (enable-line-mode)
>   (define-key html-mode-map "\C-ow" #'w3m-view)
>   (auto-fill-mode   -1)
>   (visual-line-mode -1) )
> (add-hook 'html-mode-hook #'html-mode-hook-f)
>
> ;; XML
> (defun nxml-mode-hook-f ()
>   (visual-line-mode -1) )
> (add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook #'nxml-mode-hook-f)

Interesting - have never thought about that. Will look into this.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2015-12-02 17:26     ` Emanuel Berg