On 2014-07-23 17:16, Emanuel Berg writes: > I also have that value 7 and all my posts are there, > from way back. Perhaps just because the posts are > marked in certain ways, you still have to issue some > command to have them removed from your disk. I don't > know except I have old posts, lots of them. I checked and I do too. >> I want to make sure the articles are copied locally >> to some place where they won't expire. However I >> don't want to retain every article posted on these >> newsgroups indefinitely. > > Why not? It is just a bunch of text files, all neatly > organized already. My News directory is 5.7M! I've been using gnus to read news and RSS for two weeks (before it was only for email), and mine is at 53M. I see that all the RSS from gwene is cached there as well. > If you want to delete the files with discretion, > perhaps you can tell Gnus never to do it (if indeed > Gnus does it for you) and then write a script that > deletes unwanted posts habitually while keeping some, > based on the Message ID and Subject headers I > mentioned. I've dig a little into this, and it seems that one needs to manually run 'gnus-agent-expire' or 'gnus-agent-expire-group' (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Agent-Expiry.html). By the way, you should check the value of agent-enable-expiration in your groups, if it's ENABLE and you call one of these commands, then old messages will go away. (A bit later ...) I marked the messages I wanted to keep with '*', and I ran 'gnus-agent-expire'. It freed about 30M (it may seem small, but recall that I've been using it for about 2 weeks). So I guess a combination of '*' and regularly expiring is the solution here. Alan -- OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7