* Disconnected from IMAP?
@ 2008-03-06 11:14 Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2008-03-06 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hey All,

When using Gnus, it seems that for some reason, after a period of time I
am disconnected from my IMAP server (newsservers do not seem affected by
this). Now, when it tries to reconnect (on a STARTTLS connection), it
says that it can't connect, and then it refuses to do anything with this
server. I see this when I am writing a long email and I just happen to
run into trouble there, or if I leave Gnus open for a while and then try
to get new messages. Running a restart seems to fix the problem, with by
an explicit quit and then M-x gnus or by issuing the `R' key.

Does anyone know what this is an how to fix it?

--
Aaron Hsu <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arcfide@jabber.org
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to

* Re: Disconnected from IMAP?
@ 2008-03-06 13:18 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2008-03-06 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aaron Hsu <arcfide@mac.com> writes:

> When using Gnus, it seems that for some reason, after a period of time I
> am disconnected from my IMAP server

The server you are connecting to might be automatically logging you
out after a certain period of idle time.

> Now, when it tries to reconnect (on a STARTTLS connection), it
> says that it can't connect, and then it refuses to do anything with this
> server.

That shouldn't happen. What does the server buffer say when it does?
Denied?

> I see this when I am writing a long email and I just happen to
> run into trouble there, or if I leave Gnus open for a while and then try
> to get new messages. Running a restart seems to fix the problem, with by
> an explicit quit and then M-x gnus or by issuing the `R' key.

That shouldn't be necessary. In the server buffer hit 'C' to close the
server and then 'O' to reopen it.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: Disconnected from IMAP?
@ 2008-03-07 12:29   ` Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2008-03-07 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> Aaron Hsu <arcfide@mac.com> writes:
>
>> Now, when it tries to reconnect (on a STARTTLS connection), it
>> says that it can't connect, and then it refuses to do anything with this
>> server.
>
> That shouldn't happen. What does the server buffer say when it does?
> Denied?

Yes, it says denied.

>> I see this when I am writing a long email and I just happen to
>> run into trouble there, or if I leave Gnus open for a while and then try
>> to get new messages. Running a restart seems to fix the problem, with by
>> an explicit quit and then M-x gnus or by issuing the `R' key.
>
> That shouldn't be necessary. In the server buffer hit 'C' to close the
> server and then 'O' to reopen it.

This is a handy workaround, thank you for pointing this one out to me. I
would still like to find a way to not have to do this, because that may
mean swtichout out of my editing session in the middle of something and
restablishing the connection before going back in to make sure
everything goes where it should.

--

@ 2008-03-08  9:54     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2008-03-08  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Aaron Hsu <arcfide@sacrideo.us> writes:

> Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:
>
> > Aaron Hsu <arcfide@mac.com> writes:
> >
> >> Now, when it tries to reconnect (on a STARTTLS connection), it
> >> says that it can't connect, and then it refuses to do anything with this
> >> server.
> >
> > That shouldn't happen. What does the server buffer say when it does?
> > Denied?
>
> Yes, it says denied.

Very strange. What does fstat say about the emacs process when the
problem happens? Does emacs still think it has a TCP stream open to
your IMAP server?

Are you using some kind of network address translation between you
and the IMAP server that might be expiring when the connection has
been idle? Or perhaps just a firewall of some kind?

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: Disconnected from IMAP?
@ 2008-03-08 11:46       ` Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2008-03-08 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> Aaron Hsu <arcfide@sacrideo.us> writes:
>
>> Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

>> > That shouldn't happen. What does the server buffer say when it does?
>> > Denied?
>>
>> Yes, it says denied.
>
> Are you using some kind of network address translation between you
> and the IMAP server that might be expiring when the connection has
> been idle? Or perhaps just a firewall of some kind?

I am using a rather extensive set of routers, and it does happen that
the connections are terminated by the routers at times. However, I would
then expect Gnus to be ``disconnected'' and then proceed to re-establish
the connection. This is what happens when I issue the `C' and `O'
commands in the server buffer, which work fine, but apparently this is
not happening with Gnus. I'll see if I can catch it happening some time
and do an fstat like you say on the Emacs process.