* expiry-target group parameter does not have any effect
@ 2015-03-07 10:59 Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2015-03-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello!

I just turned on auto-expire in one of my groups with the group
parameters configured as follows:

;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily'.
((auto-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 14)
 (expiry-target . "nnmaildir+mailbox:Trash"))

I expect read articles older than 14 days to be moved to the group
"nnmaildir+mailbox:Trash".  But this does not happen.  Said articles are
correctly deleted in their original group, but nothing appears in the
Trash group.

Did I mess up my configuration?  Is there a way to "track" the expiry
process, so I can find out, what is going wrong?

TIA,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: expiry-target group parameter does not have any effect
@ 2015-03-09 12:39 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-03-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2015-03-07 11:59, Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I just turned on auto-expire in one of my groups with the group
> parameters configured as follows:
>
> ;;; Editing the group parameters for `nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily'.
> ((auto-expire . t)
>  (expiry-wait . 14)
>  (expiry-target . "nnmaildir+mailbox:Trash"))

I have something similar here (except that I edit the parameter
programmatically):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("^old.*"
         (total-expire . t)
         (expiry-wait . 1)
         (expiry-target . "nnimap+zimbra:archive"))
...))
#+end_src

> I expect read articles older than 14 days to be moved to the group
> "nnmaildir+mailbox:Trash".  But this does not happen.  Said articles are
> correctly deleted in their original group, but nothing appears in the
> Trash group.
>
> Did I mess up my configuration?  Is there a way to "track" the expiry
> process, so I can find out, what is going wrong?

You can look in the *Messages* buffer, there should be logs about
expiring. If there isn't, try increasing gnus's verbosity (setting
`gnus-verbose' to 10 for very very verbose, for instance).

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: expiry-target group parameter does not have any effect
@ 2015-03-16 13:48   ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2015-03-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello Alan!

On 2015-03-09 13:39 Alan Schmitt wrote:
> I have something similar here (except that I edit the parameter
> programmatically):
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("^old.*"
>          (total-expire . t)
>          (expiry-wait . 1)
>          (expiry-target . "nnimap+zimbra:archive"))
> ...))
> #+end_src

I migrated all my group parameters to a setq form as you did above, the
articles are still not moved.  All the other group parameters (of this
group and other groups) are applied as expected.

>> Did I mess up my configuration?  Is there a way to "track" the expiry
>> process, so I can find out, what is going wrong?
>
> You can look in the *Messages* buffer, there should be logs about
> expiring. If there isn't, try increasing gnus's verbosity (setting
> `gnus-verbose' to 10 for very very verbose, for instance).

Even with setting it to 10 I only get:

Retrieving newsgroup: nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily...
Fetching headers for nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
No more unseen articles
No more unread articles
Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
Expiring articles...done

Is there another way for me to track the path of an email along the
expiry process? Or does anyone else have an idea about what might be at
fault here?

Regards,
--

@ 2015-03-16 17:21     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-03-16 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2015-03-16 14:48, Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

>> You can look in the *Messages* buffer, there should be logs about
>> expiring. If there isn't, try increasing gnus's verbosity (setting
>> `gnus-verbose' to 10 for very very verbose, for instance).
>
> Even with setting it to 10 I only get:
>
> Retrieving newsgroup: nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily...
> Fetching headers for nnmaildir+mailbox:INBOX.daily...done
> Sorting threads...done
> Generating summary...done
> No more unseen articles
> No more unread articles
> Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
> Expiring articles...done
>
> Is there another way for me to track the path of an email along the
> expiry process? Or does anyone else have an idea about what might be at
> fault here?

It seems that nothing is expired … I guess the next step is to debug the
expiring function. Note that in my case I'm using imap, not maildir, and
expiration functions depend on the backend.

Sorry I cannot be of more help,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7