"Emily Jackson" writes: > To use TLS you need to have either the starttls command-line tool > (available from ) or > gnutls (can be installed via fink [if you use fink]) installed. I have > the former installed and TLS works for me (at least it did the last time I have GnuTLS installed and I just installed starttls-0.9 as well for good measure. Still no joy though. I just tried switching to a different SMTP server and found that Gnus did not try to authenticate at all. My normal SMTP server is the same server that I retrieve my mail from so it has an entry in my .authinfo file, evidently Gnus was only authenticating because of that. smtpmail-auth-credentials and smtpmail-starttls-credentials both seem to be completely ignored. I checked smtpmail.el and I do have a version that claims to use those variables (as I'd expect, since they are documented in the Info file.) Thank you very much for your help but I still can't work out what is going wrong. Oh well. -- Charles Collicutt