* Can I remove News dir?
@ 2006-10-24 12:50 Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-10-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I noticed that 'News' dir is growing to 45M now and as I searched in
this dir, I can't find any useful files. I'm wondering is it harmful
to remove this dir?

I'm using No Gnus v0.6 (2006-10-20)

--
Leo

* Re: Can I remove News dir?
@ 2006-10-24 13:51 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-10-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 24 2006, Leo wrote:

> I noticed that 'News' dir is growing to 45M now and as I searched in
> this dir, I can't find any useful files. I'm wondering is it harmful
> to remove this dir?
>
> I'm using No Gnus v0.6 (2006-10-20)

Usually the biggest amount comes from the agent data (~/News/agent/).
AFAIK those date will be recreated without any loss.

The following stuff comes to my mind:

Not recreated:

- drafts, delayed and queued articles (`nndraft-directory')
- score files (`gnus-kill-files-directory')
- cached articles (`gnus-cache-directory')

Recreated:

- marks files (`nntp-marks-directory'); recreated from ~/.newsrc.eld
- agent data (`gnus-agent-directory'); recreated from the NNTP or IMAP
  server?

I might be a good idea to extend this list and add it to the manual.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Can I remove News dir?
@ 2006-10-24 14:51   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-10-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24/10/06, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24 2006, Leo wrote:
>
>> I noticed that 'News' dir is growing to 45M now and as I searched in
>> this dir, I can't find any useful files. I'm wondering is it harmful
>> to remove this dir?
>>
>> I'm using No Gnus v0.6 (2006-10-20)
>
> Usually the biggest amount comes from the agent data (~/News/agent/).
> AFAIK those date will be recreated without any loss.
>
> The following stuff comes to my mind:
>
> Not recreated:
>
> - drafts, delayed and queued articles (`nndraft-directory')
> - score files (`gnus-kill-files-directory')
> - cached articles (`gnus-cache-directory')
>
> Recreated:
>
> - marks files (`nntp-marks-directory'); recreated from ~/.newsrc.eld
> - agent data (`gnus-agent-directory'); recreated from the NNTP or IMAP
>   server?
>
> I might be a good idea to extend this list and add it to the manual.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

That clears my concerns. Thank you.

--
Leo