* TLS and browse foreign server
@ 2008-03-15 17:28 Thomas Christensen
From: Thomas Christensen @ 2008-03-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.

Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
to utilize TLS some times.

Sincerely

		Thomas

* Re: TLS and browse foreign server
@ 2008-03-25 23:01       ` Thomas Christensen
From: Thomas Christensen @ 2008-03-25 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> OK, I think I've found a way. The 'B' command seems just to be a
> convenience to add a server and browse it from the group buffer. You
> can do what you want manually by entering the server buffer with '^',
> adding a server with 'a', and then editing that server's select method
> with 'e'. Then browse away.
>
> Hope that helps.

I can make it work that way.  Thanks for spending time looking into it.

       [not found]   ` <mailman.9093.1205852268.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-25  1:43     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2008-03-25  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:

> Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:
>
> > Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:
> >
> >> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
> >> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
> >>
> >> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
> >> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
> >> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
> >> to utilize TLS some times.
> >
> > Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
> > of a foreign server?
>
> I actually browse a lot of servers and temporarily subscribe to some
> of the groups.  So I use browse foreign server a lot.

OK, I think I've found a way. The 'B' command seems just to be a
convenience to add a server and browse it from the group buffer. You
can do what you want manually by entering the server buffer with '^',
adding a server with 'a', and then editing that server's select method
with 'e'. Then browse away.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: TLS and browse foreign server
@ 2008-03-18 14:57   ` Thomas Christensen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9093.1205852268.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Thomas Christensen @ 2008-03-18 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

> Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:
>
>> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
>> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
>>
>> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
>> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
>> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
>> to utilize TLS some times.
>
> Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
> of a foreign server?

I actually browse a lot of servers and temporarily subscribe to some
of the groups.  So I use browse foreign server a lot.

> The best way to do what you want, I think, is to put the obvious entry
> in the gnus-secondary-select-methods list and then browse the server
> from the server buffer, subscribing groups that way.

I have done this with my major servers (IMAP, gmane, etc) - no problem
with TLS there.

> After all, if
> you're subscribing you don't want these groups to be ephemeral, right?

The ones with temporary nature makes ephemeral acceptable.

> By the way, I would use .gnus for gnus settings, not .emacs.

I like M-x customize-group RET gnus, which causes it to be .emacs ;)

       [not found] <mailman.8962.1205602214.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-18  3:38 ` Joel Reicher
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9093.1205852268.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Joel Reicher @ 2008-03-18  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:

> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
>
> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
> to utilize TLS some times.

Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
of a foreign server?

The best way to do what you want, I think, is to put the obvious entry
in the gnus-secondary-select-methods list and then browse the server
from the server buffer, subscribing groups that way. After all, if