* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
       [not found] <mailman.2227.1148429123.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-24  5:31 ` Bill Atkins
From: Bill Atkins @ 2006-05-24  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been using gnus in my laptop with the default setting of News
> and Mail dir's for about 6 months. I have decided to move these dir's
> to another home in a server so that I can access them anywhere.
>
> The home in the server can be mounted to my laptop under ~/srcf. I
> have customized gnus in my laptop with these lines in ~/.emacs:
>
> ,----
> | (setq
> |  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
> |  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
> |  message-auto-save-directory "~/srcf/Mail/drafts/"
> |  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
> |  gnus-cache-directory        "~/srcf/News/cache/"
> |  nnfolder-directory "~/srcf/Mail/archive"
> |  )
> `----
>
> However, when I start local gnus it still will create ~/Mail/archive
> and ~/News and the SCORE file will be saved to ~/News too.
>
> Any suggestions?

(setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus")
(setq message-directory "~/srcf/gnus/Mail")

is (essentially) what I use.  Most of the other variables you're
setting inherit the values of message-directory or gnus-directory when
they're initialized.

--
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most
famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24  8:37   ` Leon
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2235.1148460681.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leon @ 2006-05-24  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Atkins <NOatkinwSPAM@rpi.edu> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have been using gnus in my laptop with the default setting of News
>> and Mail dir's for about 6 months. I have decided to move these dir's
>> to another home in a server so that I can access them anywhere.
>>
>> The home in the server can be mounted to my laptop under ~/srcf. I
>> have customized gnus in my laptop with these lines in ~/.emacs:
>>
>> ,----
>> | (setq
>> |  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
>> |  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>> |  message-auto-save-directory "~/srcf/Mail/drafts/"
>> |  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
>> |  gnus-cache-directory        "~/srcf/News/cache/"
>> |  nnfolder-directory "~/srcf/Mail/archive"
>> |  )
>> `----
>>
>> However, when I start local gnus it still will create ~/Mail/archive
>> and ~/News and the SCORE file will be saved to ~/News too.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus")
> (setq message-directory "~/srcf/gnus/Mail")

But with these settings, gnus still will create ~/Mail and ~/News and
use score file in ~/News stead of ~/srcf/News.

--
Leon

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24  8:51     ` Leon
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2235.1148460681.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leon @ 2006-05-24  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Bill Atkins <NOatkinwSPAM@rpi.edu> writes:
>
>> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have been using gnus in my laptop with the default setting of News
>>> and Mail dir's for about 6 months. I have decided to move these dir's
>>> to another home in a server so that I can access them anywhere.
>>>
>>> The home in the server can be mounted to my laptop under ~/srcf. I
>>> have customized gnus in my laptop with these lines in ~/.emacs:
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> However, when I start local gnus it still will create ~/Mail/archive
>>> and ~/News and the SCORE file will be saved to ~/News too.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus")
>> (setq message-directory "~/srcf/gnus/Mail")
>
> But with these settings, gnus still will create ~/Mail and ~/News and
> use score file in ~/News stead of ~/srcf/News.

Customize gnus-kill-files-directory will sort out the score file
problem. Any idea why ~/Mail/archive is created?

--
Leon

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24 10:51       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-24 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 24 2006, Leon wrote:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>> Bill Atkins <NOatkinwSPAM@rpi.edu> writes:
>>> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus")
>>> (setq message-directory "~/srcf/gnus/Mail")

Yes, this settings should be sufficient.  All Gnus & Message variables
should be derived from this variables.  If not, it's a bug.

>> But with these settings, gnus still will create ~/Mail and ~/News and
>> use score file in ~/News stead of ~/srcf/News.
>
> Customize gnus-kill-files-directory will sort out the score file
> problem.

`gnus-kill-files-directory' _is_ derived from `gnus-directory':

(defcustom gnus-kill-files-directory gnus-directory
  ...)

Maybe you are (implicitly) loading parts of Gnus before evaluating
(setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus") in your ~/.emacs file?

> Any idea why ~/Mail/archive is created?

This probably is `nnfolder-directory' which should be derived from
`message-directory':

(defvoo nnfolder-directory (expand-file-name message-directory)
  "The name of the nnfolder directory.")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2235.1148460681.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-24 11:17       ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-05-24 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:51:02 +0100
* Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> Customize gnus-kill-files-directory will sort out the score file
> problem. Any idea why ~/Mail/archive is created?

I had this problem ever. Can not remember exactly what I did. IIRC, you
need edit .newsrc.eld directly and remove occurence of ~/Mail/archive
from it.

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24 19:41         ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, May 24 2006, Leon wrote:

> Yes, this settings should be sufficient.  All Gnus & Message variables
> should be derived from this variables.  If not, it's a bug.
>
>>> But with these settings, gnus still will create ~/Mail and ~/News and
>>> use score file in ~/News stead of ~/srcf/News.
>>
>> Customize gnus-kill-files-directory will sort out the score file
>> problem.
>
> `gnus-kill-files-directory' _is_ derived from `gnus-directory':
>
> (defcustom gnus-kill-files-directory gnus-directory
>   ...)
>
> Maybe you are (implicitly) loading parts of Gnus before evaluating
> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus") in your ~/.emacs file?
>
>> Any idea why ~/Mail/archive is created?
>
> This probably is `nnfolder-directory' which should be derived from
> `message-directory':
>
> (defvoo nnfolder-directory (expand-file-name message-directory)
>   "The name of the nnfolder directory.")
>
> Bye, Reiner.

With this setting in ~/.emacs

(require 'message)
(setq
 gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
 gnus-kill-files-directory "~/srcf/News"
 message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
 gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
 ;; mail-source-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
 )

message-auto-save-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/drafts/"
nnfolder-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/archive"

--
Leon

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24 19:48           ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-24 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

>> Yes, this settings should be sufficient.  All Gnus & Message variables
>> should be derived from this variables.  If not, it's a bug.

>>> Customize gnus-kill-files-directory will sort out the score file
>>> problem.
>>
>> `gnus-kill-files-directory' _is_ derived from `gnus-directory':
>>
>> (defcustom gnus-kill-files-directory gnus-directory
>>   ...)
>>
>> Maybe you are (implicitly) loading parts of Gnus before evaluating
>> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus") in your ~/.emacs file?
>>
>>> Any idea why ~/Mail/archive is created?
>>
>> This probably is `nnfolder-directory' which should be derived from
>> `message-directory':
>>
>> (defvoo nnfolder-directory (expand-file-name message-directory)
>>   "The name of the nnfolder directory.")
>>
>> Bye, Reiner.
>
> With this setting in ~/.emacs
>
> (require 'message)
> (setq
>  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
>  gnus-kill-files-directory "~/srcf/News"
>  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
>  ;; mail-source-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>  )
>
> message-auto-save-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/drafts/"
> nnfolder-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/archive"

I'm using gnus that comes with emacs 22/23.

--
Leon

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-25 18:52           ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2311.1148631492.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-25 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 24 2006, Leon wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> Maybe you are (implicitly) loading parts of Gnus before evaluating
>> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus") in your ~/.emacs file?
[...]
> (require 'message)

So you're loading message before setting the variables.
Moving this below the setq should make it work as intended.

> (setq
>  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
>  gnus-kill-files-directory "~/srcf/News"
>  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
>  ;; mail-source-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>  )
>
> message-auto-save-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/drafts/"
> nnfolder-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/archive"

Maybe you need to edit ~/.newsrc.eld as suggested by CHENG Gao.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-26  8:17             ` Leon
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2311.1148631492.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leon @ 2006-05-26  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, May 24 2006, Leon wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> Maybe you are (implicitly) loading parts of Gnus before evaluating
>>> (setq gnus-directory "~/srcf/gnus") in your ~/.emacs file?
> [...]
>> (require 'message)
>
> So you're loading message before setting the variables.
> Moving this below the setq should make it work as intended.
>
>> (setq
>>  gnus-startup-file "~/srcf/.newsrc"
>>  gnus-kill-files-directory "~/srcf/News"
>>  message-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>>  gnus-directory "~/srcf/News"
>>  ;; mail-source-directory "~/srcf/Mail"
>>  )
>>
>> message-auto-save-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/drafts/"
This value is corrected after move (require' message) as suggested.
>> nnfolder-directory : Its value is "~/Mail/archive"

This value is the same.

> Maybe you need to edit ~/.newsrc.eld as suggested by CHENG Gao.

Although ~/Mail/archive is created, it seems it is never used. I mean
it's always empty. I don't want to change ~/.newsrc.eld since I using
gnus on the server too.

--
Leon

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2311.1148631492.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-26 12:36               ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-05-26 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:17:57 +0100
* Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> Although ~/Mail/archive is created, it seems it is never used. I mean
> it's always empty. I don't want to change ~/.newsrc.eld since I using
> gnus on the server too.

So you'll live with it. OK. If you dislike this empty dir, I am afraid
the only solution is to have a deeo breath, tell yourself to be brave
and remove those biting lines in .newsrc.eld. (You can backup
.newsrc.eld first, so you need not be brave, just patient.)

Good luck!

* Re: move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-26 16:45                 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> *On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:17:57 +0100
> * Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:
>
>> Although ~/Mail/archive is created, it seems it is never used. I mean
>> it's always empty. I don't want to change ~/.newsrc.eld since I using
>> gnus on the server too.
>
> So you'll live with it. OK. If you dislike this empty dir, I am afraid
> the only solution is to have a deeo breath, tell yourself to be brave
> and remove those biting lines in .newsrc.eld. (You can backup
> .newsrc.eld first, so you need not be brave, just patient.)
>
> Good luck!

Thanks a lot.
--

@ 2006-05-26 21:25 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2006-05-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I have been using gnus in my laptop with the default setting of News
> and Mail dir's for about 6 months. I have decided to move these dir's
> to another home in a server so that I can access them anywhere.
>
> [...]
>
> Any suggestions?

I wanted to put `Mail' and `News' in `/mnt/hda1/rodolfo'
and achieved that by:

 1) deleting the files `~/.newsrc.eld', `~/.newsrc', `~/.nnmail-cache',
    `~/.newsrc-dribble';

 2) putting in my `~/.emacs' the following two lines:

    (setq gnus-directory "/mnt/hda1/rodolfo/News/")
    (setq message-directory "/mnt/hda1/rodolfo/Mail/")

. Cheers,
Rodolfo

* move ~/News ~/Mail dir?
@ 2006-05-24  0:05 Leon