From: Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: (setq-default browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla)
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 01:10:00 GMT	[thread overview]

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> When 'browse-url-new-window-flag' is set to 'nil' I get an error after
> clicking on a url in a gnus window.  So I have it set to 't', which
> makes the url open in a new window.
>
> I tried fiddling with this, but my elisp is not up to the challenge.

Hugh, I think you've fixed my setup... However, its sort of backwards
from what you report.

Disregarding Andrews code for a moment... and with a restart:
 (setq-default browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla) is in force.

Checking browse-url-new-window-flag shows `nil'.  clicking a url
creates a new Browser frame as reported.  However if I set it to `t'
with M-x set-variable Then I get the behavior I wanted. ie existing
browser browses url with no new frame or tab.

This seems to be the reverse of what the variable is advertised to do.
except for the small print at:
  C-h v browse-url-new-window-flag <RET>

  browse-url-new-window-flag's value is t

  *If non-nil, always open a new browser window with appropriate browsers.
  Passing an interactive argument to M-x browse-url, or specific browser
  commands reverses the effect of this variable.  Requires Netscape version
  1.1N or later or XMosaic version 2.5 or later if using those browsers.

I'm not really sure what this means but it does mention reversing the
effect.

I think this line in above:
  `Passing an interactive argument to M-x browse-url,'

is what happens when one clicks a link in a message.  Anyone know if
that is correct?

Anyway it appears in my case just setting
 browse-url-new-window-flag to `t' creates the behavior I was after.