* Re: (setq-default browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla)
       [not found] ` <87r877zvth.fsf@desktop.xx.yy>
@ 2003-05-10  1:10   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]   ` <m2r877ipqj.fsf@sbcglobal.net>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-05-10  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> When 'browse-url-new-window-flag' is set to 'nil' I get an error after
> clicking on a url in a gnus window.  So I have it set to 't', which
> makes the url open in a new window.
>
> I tried fiddling with this, but my elisp is not up to the challenge.

Hugh, I think you've fixed my setup... However, its sort of backwards
from what you report.

Disregarding Andrews code for a moment... and with a restart:
 (setq-default browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla) is in force.

Checking browse-url-new-window-flag shows `nil'.  clicking a url
creates a new Browser frame as reported.  However if I set it to `t'
with M-x set-variable Then I get the behavior I wanted. ie existing
browser browses url with no new frame or tab.

This seems to be the reverse of what the variable is advertised to do.
except for the small print at:
  C-h v browse-url-new-window-flag <RET>

  browse-url-new-window-flag's value is t

  *If non-nil, always open a new browser window with appropriate browsers.
  Passing an interactive argument to M-x browse-url, or specific browser
  commands reverses the effect of this variable.  Requires Netscape version
  1.1N or later or XMosaic version 2.5 or later if using those browsers.

I'm not really sure what this means but it does mention reversing the
effect.

I think this line in above:
  `Passing an interactive argument to M-x browse-url,'

is what happens when one clicks a link in a message.  Anyone know if
that is correct?

Anyway it appears in my case just setting
 browse-url-new-window-flag to `t' creates the behavior I was after.

@ 2003-05-10  1:34     ` Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-05-10  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

[ snip ]
> Andrew,  I'm not good enough to see how to edit the tab parts of your
> code.  It seems to be central.  Can you take a stab at code that
> would do what yours does, but create no tabs?
>
> Hugh,
> Does Andrews code help you at all?

I didn't try it, Harry.  My mozilla is version 1.0.0, which seems to
be the default Debian woody version.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

* Re: (setq-default browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla)
       [not found] <m2llxgk53r.fsf@sbcglobal.net>
@ 2003-05-09 21:57 ` Andrew M. Scott
       [not found] ` <87r877zvth.fsf@desktop.xx.yy>
From: Andrew M. Scott @ 2003-05-09 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Harry> Maybe a mozilla problem rather than emacs but maybe someone
    Harry> here knows what is necessary:

    Harry> This has only started happening since I switched from
    Harry> netscape to mozilla. With this in .emacs
    Harry>  (setq-default browse-url-browser-function
    Harry>  'browse-url-mozilla)

    Harry> If I have a mozilla browser running and click on a http url
    Harry> inside a gnus message the link is followed by opening a
    Harry> whole new browser frame. Previously (when set to netscape)
    Harry> it would follow the link in the same browser window.

    Harry> Is there a setting in mozilla that controls this? Looking
    Harry> thru the options under preferenecs I don't see a likely
    Harry> candidate.

Harry,

Perhaps this code from my ~/.emacs will be helpful. The test for
mozilla's existence on the current platform is of course optional.
Andy Scott

;; Use mozilla as the preferred browser if available. I also prefer
;; that new browser tabs are opened rather than new browser windows.
;; This requires a version of mozilla that supports tabs (1.2+ do)

(if (locate-library "mozilla" t exec-path)
    (progn

      (if (boundp 'browse-url-mozilla-new-window-is-tab)
           (setq
                 browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla
                 browse-url-new-window-flag t
                 browse-url-mozilla-new-window-is-tab t)
;;               browse-url-mozilla-program "mozilla"
                 browse-url-mozilla-arguments '("-raise"))
          ))

--
The opinions expressed herein are mine, *not* Intel's.
Andrew M. Scott, Intel Corporation - WCCG-DA Strategic Capabilities