* Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-01 23:14 Sean McAfee
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sean McAfee @ 2011-01-01 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When I want to click on a hyperlink embedded in an article, it's kind of
a hassle to switch to the article buffer, navigate to the link, and
press RET, and then return to the summary buffer afterwards.  Is there
any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?  Ideally I'd
like to be able to just select one of the on-screen buttons and trigger
it without having to leave the summary buffer.

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-02  7:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-02  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> When I want to click on a hyperlink embedded in an article, it's kind
> of a hassle to switch to the article buffer, navigate to the link, and
> press RET, and then return to the summary buffer afterwards.  Is there
> any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?  Ideally I'd
> like to be able to just select one of the on-screen buttons and
> trigger it without having to leave the summary buffer.

If there's only one link in the article buffer, it'd be trivial to
implement something like that (I think I did?), but how do you decide
what link to follow if there's more than one?

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-02 12:17 ` Sean Sieger
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1293971110.4418.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-01-02 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    Is there any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?

I do, h then C-n; for a URL, h then C-s, ht RET.

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-02 12:27   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-01-02 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

        Is there any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?

    I do, h then C-n; for a URL, h then C-s, ht RET.

Shoot, sorry ... then h again to return to the Summary Buffer.

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-02 14:35 ` Peter Münster
       [not found] ` <mailman.4.1293971110.4418.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> When I want to click on a hyperlink embedded in an article, it's kind of
> a hassle to switch to the article buffer, navigate to the link, and
> press RET, and then return to the summary buffer afterwards.  Is there
> any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?  Ideally I'd
> like to be able to just select one of the on-screen buttons and trigger
> it without having to leave the summary buffer.

I don't see any reason, to keep the focus in the summary buffer. The best
would be, to do all commands for summary and article from within the
article buffer. Then the navigation (and url selection with TAB) would
be more ergonomic.

I'm just working on my-alter-summary-map and my-alter-article-map to get
this behaviour.

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

@ 2011-01-04  0:39   ` Sean McAfee
From: Sean McAfee @ 2011-01-04  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:
>     Is there any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?
>
> I do, h then C-n; for a URL, h then C-s, ht RET.

I'd still like to shoot for something even terser, but thanks for
showing me that "h" switches back and forth between the summary and
article buffers.  All this time, I've been typing C-x o like a chump.

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-04  0:57   ` Sean McAfee
From: Sean McAfee @ 2011-01-04  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>> When I want to click on a hyperlink embedded in an article, it's kind
>> of a hassle to switch to the article buffer, navigate to the link, and
>> press RET, and then return to the summary buffer afterwards.  Is there
>> any convenient built-in way to streamline this process?  Ideally I'd
>> like to be able to just select one of the on-screen buttons and
>> trigger it without having to leave the summary buffer.
>
> If there's only one link in the article buffer, it'd be trivial to
> implement something like that (I think I did?), but how do you decide
> what link to follow if there's more than one?

Idea #1: Via a numeric prefix.  Perhaps all of the links could be
numbered, like the Conkeror browser does, for ease of identification.

Idea #2: Add a command that highlights successive links on repeated
invocation, and another command that activates the currently highlighted
link.

I like idea #2 better.  Looks like I've assigned myself a little
project.

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-04  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> Idea #1: Via a numeric prefix.  Perhaps all of the links could be
> numbered, like the Conkeror browser does, for ease of identification.

Sounds a bit disruptive when reading the articles...

> Idea #2: Add a command that highlights successive links on repeated
> invocation, and another command that activates the currently highlighted
> link.

Sounds nice.  Perhaps TAB in the summary buffer should highlight the
links successively?  And then RET could "click the link".

> I like idea #2 better.  Looks like I've assigned myself a little
> project.

Go for it.  :-)

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-04  9:27   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-04  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> I'm just working on my-alter-summary-map and my-alter-article-map to get
> this behaviour.

Here some ideas:

(defun my-alter-group-map ()
  (local-set-key [right] 'gnus-group-select-group))

(defun my-alter-summary-map ()
  (local-set-key [left] 'gnus-summary-exit)
  (local-set-key [right] '(lambda () (interactive)
                            (gnus-summary-show-article)
                            (gnus-summary-select-article-buffer)
                            (delete-other-windows)))
  (local-set-key "s" '(lambda () (interactive)
                        (gnus-summary-move-article)
                        (next-line)))
  (local-set-key "d" [?M ?M ?e ?e down]))

(defun my-alter-article-map ()
  (local-set-key [left] '(lambda () (interactive)
                           (gnus-article-show-summary)
                           (delete-other-windows)))
  (local-set-key "s" '(lambda () (interactive)
                        (gnus-summary-move-article)
                        (gnus-summary-next-unread-article)
                        (gnus-summary-show-article)
                        (gnus-summary-select-article-buffer)
                        (delete-other-windows)))
  (local-set-key "d" "MMeeN"))

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'my-alter-group-map)
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-alter-summary-map)
(add-hook 'gnus-article-mode-hook 'my-alter-article-map)

(delete-other-window) is just personal taste.
s: save message
d: delete message

When you read your messages without leaving the article buffer (using
"n", "space" and so on), you can immediatly jump to the URLs with TAB.

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2011-01-04 14:25       ` Dan Christensen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1294151194.4785.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Dan Christensen @ 2011-01-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Idea #2: Add a command that highlights successive links on repeated
>> invocation, and another command that activates the currently highlighted
>> link.
>
> Sounds nice.  Perhaps TAB in the summary buffer should highlight the
> links successively?  And then RET could "click the link".

Isn't that essentially what TAB already does?  (But not just for links;
it includes any widget; which I think is the right thing to do.)

| <tab> runs the command gnus-summary-widget-forward, which is an
| interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
|
| It is bound to <tab>, A <tab>.
|
| (gnus-summary-widget-forward arg)
|
| Move point to the next field or button in the article.
| With optional arg, move across that many fields.

Dan

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-04 22:05       ` Peter Münster
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1.1294151194.4785.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-04 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> Idea #2: Add a command that highlights successive links on repeated
>> invocation, and another command that activates the currently highlighted
>> link.
>
> Sounds nice.  Perhaps TAB in the summary buffer should highlight the
> links successively?  And then RET could "click the link".

Seems to be not so difficult:

(defun my-alter-summary-map ()
  (local-set-key [tab] '(lambda () (interactive)
                          (gnus-summary-select-article-buffer)
                          (w3m-next-anchor)
                          (w3m-highlight-current-anchor)
                          (gnus-article-show-summary)))
  (local-set-key [C-return] [?h return ?h]))

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-alter-summary-map)

Only the w3m-highlight-current-anchor does not work as expected... :(

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2011-01-05 11:44         ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-01-05 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:25:46 -0500, Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> said:

DC> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Idea #2: Add a command that highlights successive links on repeated
>>> invocation, and another command that activates the currently
>>> highlighted link.
>>
>> Sounds nice.  Perhaps TAB in the summary buffer should highlight the
>> links successively?  And then RET could "click the link".

DC> Isn't that essentially what TAB already does?  (But not just for
DC> links; it includes any widget; which I think is the right thing to
DC> do.)

DC> | <tab> runs the command gnus-summary-widget-forward, which is an |
DC> interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
DC> |
DC> | It is bound to <tab>, A <tab>.
DC> |
DC> | (gnus-summary-widget-forward arg)
DC> |
DC> | Move point to the next field or button in the article.  | With
DC> optional arg, move across that many fields.

DC> Dan

It would just be nice to be able to do that from the summary buffer.

I think having something like `w3m-linknum-follow'/vimperator-style
link following from the summary buffer would be awesome:

Just hit the key and all the widgets get highlighted with a number next
to them, then either typing that number or a substring of the widget
name to select, then have RET behave as usual.

Alternatively, have a key to get completing-read for all the widgets,
should be nice with ido.

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Any way to click article buttons without leaving the summary buffer?
@ 2011-01-06 14:52           ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2011-01-06 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:25:46 -0500, Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> said:
>
> DC> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>>> Sounds nice.  Perhaps TAB in the summary buffer should highlight the
>>> links successively?  And then RET could "click the link".
>
> DC> Isn't that essentially what TAB already does?  (But not just for
> DC> links; it includes any widget; which I think is the right thing to
> DC> do.)
> DC>
> DC> | <tab> runs the command gnus-summary-widget-forward, which is an
> DC> | interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
>
> It would just be nice to be able to do that from the summary buffer.

It *does* do that in the summary buffer.  Note that the command is
called gnus-summary-widget-forward, and is defined in gnus-sum.el.

This may be a recent change.  Until a month or two ago, TAB used to
process-mark articles for me, but now it does the above.  I'm using
git gnus.

Dan

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Isn't that essentially what TAB already does?  (But not just for links;
> it includes any widget; which I think is the right thing to do.)

So it does -- Julien added that a couple of months ago; I had
forgotten.

In that case I don't really think anything new here is needed.  Perhaps
`gnus-summary-widget-forward' should be altered to keep point in the
summary buffer and just highlight the widget, though?  Does widget.el
have native support for highlighting without the mouse point being over
it?