* Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-20 14:32 Alan Schmitt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-20 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I'm trying to work in a single Emacs frame, split in several windows,
but this does not work well with gnus. Reading the documentation, I see
that there is an option to prevent gnus from taking over the frame
(http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_288.html), but its use is discouraged.

Hence my question: has anyone found a way to use gnus without losing an
existing windows layout? I saw some discussion on emacswiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneWindow) and I'm wondering if there
are other tricks that I may have missed.

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-20 19:20 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-09-20 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-09-20, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I'm trying to work in a single Emacs frame, split in several windows,
> but this does not work well with gnus. Reading the documentation, I see
> that there is an option to prevent gnus from taking over the frame
> (http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_288.html), but its use is discouraged.
>
> Hence my question: has anyone found a way to use gnus without losing an
> existing windows layout? I saw some discussion on emacswiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneWindow) and I'm wondering if there
> are other tricks that I may have missed.

I suggest dumb solution:

  M-x new-frame RET M-x gnus RET

If you have nice windows manager with cool select windows application you easy
switch between main Emacs frame and Gnus one...

Really I use at most only 2 Emacs windows. For fast navigation I use saved
points in registers and iswitchb-mode.

I think you can try to hack some Elisp code with use of:

  (setq my-window-conf (current-window-configuration))
  (gnus)
  (set-window-configuration my-window-conf)  ;; restore window layout and
                                             ;; selected buffers

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configurations.html

I think that it is you want but I don't how integrate this code with gnus and
your preferences...

Try searching on emacswiki by set-window-configuration keyword...

--
Best regards!

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-20 19:36   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-09-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2012-09-20, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> I think you can try to hack some Elisp code with use of:
>
>   (setq my-window-conf (current-window-configuration))
>   (gnus)
>   (set-window-configuration my-window-conf)  ;; restore window layout and
>                                              ;; selected buffers
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configurations.html
>
> I think that it is you want but I don't how integrate this code with gnus and
> your preferences...
>
> Try searching on emacswiki by set-window-configuration keyword...

Quotation from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2572950/preserve-window-layout-in-emacs/2575269#2575269

  I sometimes still use C-x r w <register> to store a window configuration in
  a register, and C-x r j <register> (where <register> is a single character)
  to jump back to it.

I learn Emacs with you ))

--
Best regards!

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-21  1:59     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-09-21  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, Sep 21 2012, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> On 2012-09-20, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>> I think you can try to hack some Elisp code with use of:
>>
>>   (setq my-window-conf (current-window-configuration))
>>   (gnus)
>>   (set-window-configuration my-window-conf)  ;; restore window layout and
>>                                              ;; selected buffers
>>
>>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configurations.html
>>
>> I think that it is you want but I don't how integrate this code with gnus and
>> your preferences...
>>
>> Try searching on emacswiki by set-window-configuration keyword...
>
> Quotation from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2572950/preserve-window-layout-in-emacs/2575269#2575269
>
>   I sometimes still use C-x r w <register> to store a window configuration in
>   a register, and C-x r j <register> (where <register> is a single character)
>   to jump back to it.
>
> I learn Emacs with you ))

I also just use multiple frames (I use stumpwm, so using emacs as a
fullblown window manager seemed redundant), but this is a really nice
tip, thanks.

--
GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2012-09-16 on pellet

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-21  6:25   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-21  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-20, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to work in a single Emacs frame, split in several windows,
>> but this does not work well with gnus. Reading the documentation, I see
>> that there is an option to prevent gnus from taking over the frame
>> (http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_288.html), but its use is discouraged.
>>
>> Hence my question: has anyone found a way to use gnus without losing an
>> existing windows layout? I saw some discussion on emacswiki
>> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneWindow) and I'm wondering if there
>> are other tricks that I may have missed.
>>
> I suggest dumb solution:
>
>   M-x new-frame RET M-x gnus RET
>
> If you have nice windows manager with cool select windows application you easy
> switch between main Emacs frame and Gnus one...

Unfortunately my window manager is not so nice (I'm on OS X).

> Really I use at most only 2 Emacs windows. For fast navigation I use saved
> points in registers and iswitchb-mode.
>
> I think you can try to hack some Elisp code with use of:
>
>   (setq my-window-conf (current-window-configuration))
>   (gnus)
>   (set-window-configuration my-window-conf)  ;; restore window layout and
>                                              ;; selected buffers
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Window-Configurations.html
>
> I think that it is you want but I don't how integrate this code with gnus and
> your preferences...
>
> Try searching on emacswiki by set-window-configuration keyword...

Interesting tip, thanks a lot!

@ 2012-09-21  6:28     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> Quotation from
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2572950/preserve-window-layout-in-emacs/2575269#2575269
>
>   I sometimes still use C-x r w <register> to store a window configuration in
>   a register, and C-x r j <register> (where <register> is a single character)
>   to jump back to it.
>
> I learn Emacs with you ))

This is great! Thanks a lot.

@ 2012-09-22 23:18 ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2012-09-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

workgroups[0] allows you to have switch between different window
configurations. I like to have one dedicated for Gnus.
Other packages providing similar functionality exist but I really liked
that one.

[0] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-09-24  6:38   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-09-24  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Haselwarter; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp@haselwarter.org> writes:

> workgroups[0] allows you to have switch between different window
> configurations. I like to have one dedicated for Gnus.
> Other packages providing similar functionality exist but I really liked
> that one.
>
> [0] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

Thanks a lot, it's looking very nice indeed.

@ 2012-09-27 21:49 ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-09-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work in a single Emacs frame, split in several windows,
> but this does not work well with gnus. Reading the documentation, I see
> that there is an option to prevent gnus from taking over the frame
> (http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_288.html), but its use is discouraged.
>
> Hence my question: has anyone found a way to use gnus without losing an
> existing windows layout? I saw some discussion on emacswiki
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneWindow) and I'm wondering if there
> are other tricks that I may have missed.

if you are happy running emacs only in text mode, then you can do like
me: I run Emacs in text mode (emacs -nw), inside GNU screen (well,
actually Byobu), so wherever I am, I only need to connect through ssh to
my workstation, and I have full control and exactly the same
configuration everywhere.

Inside screen I have different shells and in all of them I run
emacsclient, so all of them are connecting to the same Emacs server but
each of them have different windows configurations. Works very well for
me: at work I can even open another terminal (I have two monitors),
connect to Byobu, and have both of them sharing the same Emacs (so I can
see Gnus in one of them and something else in the other one at the same
time). Then when I get home I have exactly the same environment. If you
don't need X, this works great! (I tried the register approach at some
point, but compared to this it was awful, IMO).

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: Preserving window layout?
@ 2012-10-01 17:50   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-10-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> if you are happy running emacs only in text mode, then you can do like
> me: I run Emacs in text mode (emacs -nw), inside GNU screen (well,
> actually Byobu), so wherever I am, I only need to connect through ssh to
> my workstation, and I have full control and exactly the same
> configuration everywhere.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It's something I tried (using tmux),
but I've been having a lot of trouble with key combinations that don't
make it through the whole stack (for instance: shift arrow to be passed
through the terminal (iTerm 2, under OS X), tmux, and finally emacs). As
I use org-mode a lot, these keys are quite useful to me.

Alan