* SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS
@ 2005-02-13  1:42 Charles Collicutt
From: Charles Collicutt @ 2005-02-13  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently trying to configure Gnus to authenticate to my SMTP
server so that I can use the same server regardless of where I happen to
be at the time. I am using Gnus v5.11 from the Emacs CVS (mostly because
I'm using Mac OS X and the CVS seems to be the only place to get a
decent version of Emacs for OS X.) I'm sending my mail with smtpmail.el
but I have a couple of problems.

Despite the fact that my SMTP server advertises CRAM-MD5, smtpmail
always authenticates with LOGIN. This wouldn't be so bad if it used TLS
but it refuses to do that either, so it sends my password in plaintext,
which is not good.

I have the following in my .gnus:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.mydomain.net"
      smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.mydomain.net" 25 "myusername" "mypassword"))
      smtp-starttls-credentials
      '(("smtp.mydomain.net" 25 nil nil)))

Could anybody help me to see where I've gone wrong?

Thank you very much.

--
Charles Collicutt