* Re: cache directory ':' -> '_'
       [not found] ` <vafr8l6iqdz.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-04-23 21:23   ` Seth Delackner
From: Seth Delackner @ 2002-04-23 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Seth Delackner <seth@jtan.com> writes:
>
>> Since this home directory is shared between windows (cygwin) and unix
>> (bsd), how do I force gnus running under unix to also convert the
>> characters?  As it stands, it does not convert, causing it to maintain
>> a separate set of cache files.
>
> See the variable nnheader-file-name-translation-alist.

Kai you are my hero!  I can't believe how long it took, but I finally
have done it.  My xemacs installation, complete down to gnus, is
shared between windows and mac OS X.

The big stumbling block was getting both machines to look to
non-standard directories for files, as I finally did in the script
below.  Again, THANK YOU!

I should probably convert the windows side to also use ~/shared, but
for now it works so I'm not kicking it to see if it breaks.

(defun sd-env-mac ()
    "Generates my mac site specific variables"
    (setq sd-shared-prefix "~/shared")
    (setq gnus-home-directory "~/shared")
)
(defun sd-env-win ()
    "Generates my XEmacs/windows site specific variables"
    (setq sd-shared-prefix "~/")
)

(if (and (string-match "win32" (version)) (string-match "XEmacs" (version)))
    (sd-env-win)
    (sd-env-mac))

(defun sd-add-path (p) "add p to the load-path"
    (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name p sd-shared-prefix)))

(sd-add-path "elisp/eieio")
(sd-add-path "elisp/gnus")
(sd-add-path "elisp/info")
(sd-add-path "elisp/jde")
(sd-add-path "elisp/semantic")
(sd-add-path "elisp/speedbar")

* Re: cache directory ':' -> '_'
       [not found] ` <m3wuuzimaf.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-04-23  2:04   ` Seth Delackner
From: Seth Delackner @ 2002-04-23  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
> Seth Delackner <seth@jtan.com> wrote:
>> On windows gnus writes my nnimap:mail account cache folders as
>> gnus-cache-directory + "nnimap_mail", converting the colon to
>> underscore.
>>
>> Since this home directory is shared between windows (cygwin) and unix
>> (bsd), how do I force gnus running under unix to also convert the
>> characters?
>
> Where does the directory actually live?  If on Unix, you can make
> symlinks so both names work.

It is on a windows machine (on a fat partition no less).  If there is
not an easy function I can modify, then I will move the home
directory to the unix box.  I was just avoiding having to go through
transferring it.