* why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-05 13:30 winsphinX
From: winsphinX @ 2006-09-05 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

since i wrote (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t), i'd keep mails on pop server, but i receive mails again and again when i enter gnus every time.
anyone can help me to solve this problem? thanks!

* Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-09  6:48 ` winsphinx
From: winsphinx @ 2006-09-09  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

winsphinX 写道:

> since i wrote (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t), i'd keep mails on pop server, but i receive mails again and again when i enter gnus every time.
> anyone can help me to solve this problem? thanks!

nobody answered my post...is there something wrong?

* Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-09  8:31   ` Øyvind Røtvold
From: Øyvind Røtvold @ 2006-09-09  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

winsphinx@gmail.com writes:
> nobody answered my post...is there something wrong?

No, we're receiving you load and clear.

Havent't got much to offer here - this works for me with Gnus v5.10.7,
I've set:

(setq mail-sources
      '(
	(pop :server "localhost" :port 1602
	     :user "orotvold@gmail.com" :password "****")
))

(setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t)

And that's about it, I'm usning gmail (trough stunnel).

There's a file : .uidls int my home directory containing ID's that
presumably are used to avoid duplications.

--
..    __o               Øyvind
..  _`\(,    http://www.darkside.no/olr/

* Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-09  9:45     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-09  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 09 2006, Øyvind Røtvold wrote:

> (setq pop3-leave-mail-on-server t)
>
> And that's about it, I'm usning gmail (trough stunnel).
>
> There's a file : .uidls int my home directory containing ID's that
> presumably are used to avoid duplications.

Then you are probably not using the Gnus version of pop3.el, but the
XEmacs version.

Because of the copyright situation we can't use this code in Gnus.  We
are aware that the `pop3-leave-mail-on-server' feature in Gnus version
is insufficient [1], but there's not much we can do about it unless
someone who is willing to assign papers reimplements UILD support for
`pop3.el', see also [2].

If bandwidth isn't the problem, you might use Gnus duplicate
suppression (info "(gnus)Duplicate Suppression") to mitigate the
problem.

>> nobody answered my post...is there something wrong?

Entering "Gnus pop3-leave-mail-on-server" into Google groups
brings [1] as one of the first hits, so a little bit of own research
wouldn't hurt.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <http://thread.gmane.org/b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>
    <http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=b9yy8hzy9ej.fsf%40jpl.org>

[2] <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.xemacs.beta/16846>
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-11  4:23       ` winsphinx
From: winsphinx @ 2006-09-11  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib 写道:

> If bandwidth isn't the problem, you might use Gnus duplicate
> suppression (info "(gnus)Duplicate Suppression") to mitigate the
> problem.

Great thanks. I will try this method.

> Entering "Gnus pop3-leave-mail-on-server" into Google groups
> brings [1] as one of the first hits, so a little bit of own research
> wouldn't hurt.

It's a pity that there's a little trouble in reading English for me,
and more trouble in using google in our country.

* Re: why i receive duplicate mails?
@ 2006-09-18 14:28         ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-18 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On 10 Sep 2006 21:23:47 -0700
* winsphinx@gmail.com climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> It's a pity that there's a little trouble in reading English for me,
> and more trouble in using google in our country.

I am from your country, man. :-p
You can subscribe to cn.comp.os.linux (through news.yaako.com or some
other server) and post linux/emacs/gnus related question there. We dont
speak A(merican), B(elgian), C(anadian), D(utch), E(nglish), F(rench),
G(erman) there, just geniune Chinese. Welcome and see you there.