* Re: gnus see billions of messages with nnimap !
       [not found] ` <ilueleiqwwc.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2002-07-05 11:36   ` Sylvain Amrani
       [not found]     ` <vafheje71w9.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Sylvain Amrani @ 2002-07-05 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sylvain Amrani <nospam@com.fr> writes:
>
>> * OK [UIDNEXT 1025814376] Predicted next UID
>> * OK [UIDNEXT 1025814871] Predicted next UID
>
> The server has large holes in the UID space, I am afraid Gnus handles
> this poorly.  You should know that the unread article count in the
> group buffer is only an estimate, and it will be wrong in cases like
> this.  This is documented so it can't be a bug.

??? sorry, but for me it's a bug. The server seems to be OK with the
RFC and the real number of articles is given with the SELECT or
EXAMINE. Futhermore, I've heard of IMAP servers that do not maintain
any UID. Gnus is the only MUA I know that doesn't correctly handle
this. Too bad, I've to use gnus for news and another mua for mail.

>  However, many people have complained, and perhaps that will be
> fixed some day.  The other problem seem to be that Gnus is slow, and
> here I am afraid major changes is required to make it work properly.

<sigh> I don't understand anything in elisp </sigh>

Does anyone here access his imap folders thru tramp, nfs or something
else ?

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Amrani
sam at samrani dot com

@ 2002-07-05 21:19       ` Sylvain Amrani
From: Sylvain Amrani @ 2002-07-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai writes:

> Seriously, it's possible but apparently not so easy to correct this
> shortcoming of Gnus.  But many people would be really happy if
> somebody sat down and just corrected it.
>
> kai

Sure. The more so as imap is growing on the net. as dedicated connections.

--
Sylvain Amrani
sam at samrani dot com