* how to work with nnfolder?
@ 2012-11-09  4:25 Easior
From: Easior @ 2012-11-09  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hi, all.

To archive the messages sent, I use

;; Tell gnus which method to use for archives (nnfolder)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method
           '(nnfolder "archive"
                 (nnfolder-directory "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/")
                 (nnfolder-active-file
"~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/active")
                 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
                 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
;; Tell gnus into which group to store messages
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "nnfolder+archive:sent.news"
            "nnfolder+archive:sent.mail")))

However, there is something weird happened. When I send a message by gnus,
I'll find that a file named 'mail' will be created in the directory
"~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/". In fact, it is not correct. Gnus
should create a file, e.g. named '1', in the directory
"~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/mail". If I
only use the following configuration

;; Tell gnus into which group to store messages
(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "nnml+POP:sent.news"
            "nnml+POP:sent.mail")))

everything is ok. What's happened?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Easior

--
自从你离开了以后,我一直等待着你回来
心痛的时候,真是好辛苦

* Re: how to work with nnfolder?
@ 2012-11-09  7:11 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-11-09  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:25:16 +0800, Easior wrote:

> ;; Tell gnus which method to use for archives (nnfolder)

[...]

> However, there is something weird happened. When I send a message by gnus,
> I'll find that a file named 'mail' will be created in the directory
> "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/". In fact, it is not correct. Gnus
> should create a file, e.g. named '1', in the directory
> "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/mail".

What gave you that impression?

nnfolder stores each _group_ in a file, not each mail.

See:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_201.html

As you have observed, nnml stores each _mail_ in a separate file; as
described in:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_194.html

> everything is ok. What's happened?

Looks like it works as advertised to me?

  :-),

    Adam

--
 "Everybody will be quick to agree that EMACS has a           Adam Sjøgren
  simple to learn user interface, at least to gain       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: how to work with nnfolder?
@ 2012-11-09 11:01   ` Easior
From: Easior @ 2012-11-09 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: info-gnus-english

    AS> On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:25:16 +0800, Easior wrote:
    >>  ;; Tell gnus which method to use for archives (nnfolder)

    AS> [...]

    >>  However, there is something weird happened. When I send a message by
    AS> gnus,
    >>  I'll find that a file named 'mail' will be created in the directory
    >>  "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/". In fact, it is not correct.
    AS> Gnus
    >>  should create a file, e.g. named '1', in the directory
    >>  "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/sent/mail".

    AS> What gave you that impression?

The mechanism of nnml made me such impression.

    AS> nnfolder stores each _group_ in a file, not each mail.

    AS> See:

    AS> * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_201.html

    AS> As you have observed, nnml stores each _mail_ in a separate file; as
    AS> described in:

    AS> * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_194.html

    >>  everything is ok. What's happened?

    AS> Looks like it works as advertised to me?

    AS> :-),

    AS> Adam

    AS> --
    AS> "Everybody will be quick to agree that EMACS has a Adam Sjgren
    AS> simple to learn user interface, at least to gain asjo@koldfront.dk
    AS> 'novice' status."

Thank you very much.

There is another problem. If I use

;; Tell gnus which method to use for archives (nnfolder)
(setq gnus-message-archive-method
           '(nnfolder "archive"
                 (nnfolder-directory "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive")
                 (nnfolder-active-file "~/.emacs.d/gnus/Mail/archive/active")
                 ;; (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
                 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))

all buffers related to gnus will be read only. Why does it happen?

--
Best Regards,

Easior
-----
Ich bin von heute und ehedam, aber etwas ist in mir, das ist vor
morgen und übermorgen und einstmal.

                                     Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche