* xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-06 17:46 poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-03-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, gnus,

    Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
    / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.

Cheers,
poppyer

* Re: xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-06 21:13 ` DigitalPig
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: DigitalPig @ 2008-03-06 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, gnus,
>
>     Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
>     / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.
>
> Cheers,
> poppyer
>
> --
I don't know if there is in Gnus. But I know there are some under Emacs. The first choice to use is WebloggerMode (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WebloggerMode) You can post your blog entry by using that. For reading Blogs, You can use nnrss backend, which involving RSS mechanism like in Google Reader. In the group buffer, press "G" "R" and input the url you like.

The third method is g-client in Emacspeak package. It provide a set of interfaces for Google services, including Google Calendar, Google Reader and Blogger. If you happen to use Blogger to post and Google Reader to track your friend's blog. It would be a perfect choice.

PS: Maybe Google update their web API interface. I downloaded both the g-client package in the latest stable Emacspeak package and the SVN version, but neither of them can get the Calendar... Does anybody have an idea? Thanks!

--
Zhenqing Li
Materials Science & Engineering (Emphasis on Polymer)

* Re: xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-07 13:22   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8492.1204896142.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-07 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:

> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, gnus,
>>
>>     Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
>>     / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> poppyer
>>
>> --
> I don't know if there is in Gnus. But I know there are some under
> Emacs. The first choice to use is WebloggerMode
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WebloggerMode) You can post
> your blog entry by using that. For reading Blogs, You can use nnrss
> backend, which involving RSS mechanism like in Google Reader. In the
> group buffer, press "G" "R" and input the url you like.

[...]

I've tried using the weblogger files from the Emacs wiki site and I
can't seem to get it to work on blogger.

Here's what I did.
M-x weblogger-setup-weblog

url:http://name.blogspot.com
username:sivaram (also tried sivaram AT gmail.com)
password: ######

and I got the following error.

Reading [text/html; charset=UTF-8]... 168 bytes of 159 bytes (106%)
Reading... done.
xml-rpc-request: Error during request: 405

How do I fix this?

 sivaram

@ 2008-03-07 15:08     ` DigitalPig
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8555.1204986797.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: DigitalPig @ 2008-03-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:
>
>> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, gnus,
>>>
>>>     Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
>>>     / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> poppyer
>>>
>>> --
>> I don't know if there is in Gnus. But I know there are some under
>> Emacs. The first choice to use is WebloggerMode
>> (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WebloggerMode) You can post
>> your blog entry by using that. For reading Blogs, You can use nnrss
>> backend, which involving RSS mechanism like in Google Reader. In the
>> group buffer, press "G" "R" and input the url you like.
>
> [...]
>

> I've tried using the weblogger files from the Emacs wiki site and I
> can't seem to get it to work on blogger.
>
> Here's what I did.
> M-x weblogger-setup-weblog
>
> url:http://name.blogspot.com
> username:sivaram (also tried sivaram AT gmail.com)
> password: ######
>
> and I got the following error.
>
> Reading [text/html; charset=UTF-8]... 168 bytes of 159 bytes (106%)
> Reading... done.
> xml-rpc-request: Error during request: 405
>

> How do I fix this?
>
>  sivaram
>  --

Hmmm... Weblogger cannot directly find your xmlrpc interface. For
Blogger, try this:
url: http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2
username: ___@gmail.com (should include @gmail.com)

--

@ 2008-03-07 15:34   ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-03-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> The third method is g-client in Emacspeak package. It provide a set of
> interfaces for Google services, including Google Calendar, Google
> Reader and Blogger. If you happen to use Blogger to post and Google
> Reader to track your friend's blog. It would be a perfect choice.

I have follow the website. But I get void w3m-buffer function.
although I have had the w3m-el installed, but it has only w3m function
but no w3m-buffer.

Any idea?

poppyer

@ 2008-03-07 18:29     ` DigitalPig
From: DigitalPig @ 2008-03-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

>> The third method is g-client in Emacspeak package. It provide a set of
>> interfaces for Google services, including Google Calendar, Google
>> Reader and Blogger. If you happen to use Blogger to post and Google
>> Reader to track your friend's blog. It would be a perfect choice.
>
> I have follow the website. But I get void w3m-buffer function.
> although I have had the w3m-el installed, but it has only w3m function
> but no w3m-buffer.
>
> Any idea?
>
> poppyer
>

>> PS: Maybe Google update their web API interface. I downloaded both the
>> g-client package in the latest stable Emacspeak package and the SVN
>> version, but neither of them can get the Calendar... Does anybody have
>> an idea? Thanks!

I had the same problem before. I found that there is no "w3m-buffer"
function inside of emacs-w3m. So I just commented this g-html-handler
setting. Then it use default emacs-w3m to display the buffer. However,
it can not render the current buffer, means that it will open another
window and display your calendar. Right now I haven't have any idea to
solve this yet... :(

--

@ 2008-03-08  5:00 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-08  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

>     Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
>     / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.

For post, since blogger.com supports mail-to-blog(check its setting in
the web), so that's enough.  We can rely on our great Gnus again !

For read, I have tried nnrss many times, but not very satisfied.  Maybe
it's always better relying on firefox, etc here.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-08  5:11   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-08  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>     Is there any such backends available? It would be nice if i can read
>>     / post to the blogs (mime or my friends') with in gnus.
>
> For post, since blogger.com supports mail-to-blog(check its setting in
> the web), so that's enough.  We can rely on our great Gnus again !

Ah...  I take your are using blogger.com for granted.  Ignore me if you
are not.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-08 14:33       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found]       ` <mailman.8555.1204986797.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Hmmm... Weblogger cannot directly find your xmlrpc interface. For
> Blogger, try this:
> url: http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2
> username: ___@gmail.com (should include @gmail.com)

That worked, except that titles are not appearing at all.  Blogger
does not seem to pick it up from the post Subject line or from the value
set in weblogger-default-title.

 sivaram

@ 2008-03-08 17:35         ` DigitalPig
From: DigitalPig @ 2008-03-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>

> [...]
>

>> Hmmm... Weblogger cannot directly find your xmlrpc interface. For
>> Blogger, try this:
>> url: http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2
>> username: ___@gmail.com (should include @gmail.com)
>>

> That worked, except that titles are not appearing at all.  Blogger
> does not seem to pick it up from the post Subject line or from the value
> set in weblogger-default-title.
>

>  sivaram
>  --

Try this: http://jwickers.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/webloggerel-enhanced/

I download weblogger.el here. I tested it for Wordpress Blog and it
works OK including the title.

--

@ 2008-03-09  6:14           ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-09  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:

[...]

> Try this: http://jwickers.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/webloggerel-enhanced/
>
> I download weblogger.el here. I tested it for Wordpress Blog and it
> works OK including the title.

[...]

That's the one I've been using.  And the title is not appearing whether I use
html tags, set the defvar to something.

 sivaram

@ 2008-03-12 20:16         ` Timo Geusch
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8818.1205376072.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Timo Geusch @ 2008-03-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> DigitalPig <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>

> [...]
>

>> Hmmm... Weblogger cannot directly find your xmlrpc interface. For
>> Blogger, try this:
>> url: http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2
>> username: ___@gmail.com (should include @gmail.com)
>>

> That worked, except that titles are not appearing at all.  Blogger
> does not seem to pick it up from the post Subject line or from the value
> set in weblogger-default-title.

You're probably suffering from the same problem that I described in

http://codeblog.bsdninjas.co.uk/index.php?/archives/59-Weblogger-Mode-finally-playing-with-Serendipity!.html

If you look at the XML generated by weblogger-mode, it's likely to be
missing the title tags because chances are that you've got problems
getting the capabilities from Blogger.

* Re: xml-rpc / weblog backend with gnus?
@ 2008-03-13  2:40           ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8818.1205376072.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-13  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Timo Geusch <tnewsSPAMMENOT@unixconsult.co.uk> writes:

[...]

>> That worked, except that titles are not appearing at all.  Blogger
>> does not seem to pick it up from the post Subject line or from the value
>> set in weblogger-default-title.
>
> You're probably suffering from the same problem that I described in
>
> http://codeblog.bsdninjas.co.uk/index.php?/archives/59-Weblogger-Mode-finally-playing-with-Serendipity!.html
>
> If you look at the XML generated by weblogger-mode, it's likely to be
> missing the title tags because chances are that you've got problems
> getting the capabilities from Blogger.

Thanks.  From your blog it appears you got it to work with mt?  Would
the same work with blogger?

 sivaram

@ 2008-03-13 15:51             ` Timo Geusch
From: Timo Geusch @ 2008-03-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Timo Geusch <tnewsSPAMMENOT@unixconsult.co.uk> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> That worked, except that titles are not appearing at all.  Blogger
>>> does not seem to pick it up from the post Subject line or from the value
>>> set in weblogger-default-title.
>>
>> You're probably suffering from the same problem that I described in
>>
>> http://codeblog.bsdninjas.co.uk/index.php?/archives/59-Weblogger-Mode-finally-playing-with-Serendipity!.html
>>
>> If you look at the XML generated by weblogger-mode, it's likely to be
>> missing the title tags because chances are that you've got problems
>> getting the capabilities from Blogger.
>
> Thanks.  From your blog it appears you got it to work with mt?  Would
> the same work with blogger?

I got it to work with serendipity, but in order to do that I modified
the server code to implement the call that returns the server's
capabilities. I doubt that this is possible with blogger :)

It may be possible for you to hard code the values in the capabilities
structure to allow weblogger to send the correct XML; that's a
possibility I was looking into but didn't follow up as correcting
serendipity's XML_RPC support seemed to be the right thing to do.