* summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-02  2:53 bxf4
From: bxf4 @ 2005-12-02  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not sure when it started, but Gnus (No Gnus v0.3) now displays
recipients instead of senders for my incoming mail.  I'm not sure what
I could have changed to cause this.  Here's an example:

!  [  31: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] mail 1
 A [  83: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] conference
   [ 110: -> <bxf4@yahoo.com>] FW: calculation
   [  35: -> Brian Flattery   ] RE: Paperwork

I much prefer if the sender was shown in an incoming box, like this:

!  [  31: Person Number1] mail 1
 A [  83: Person Number2] conference
   [ 110: Someone Else] FW: calculation
   [  35: Flat Earth ] RE: Paperwork

In the best of all possible worlds, I'd see senders in the incoming
boxes and recipient in the sent mail archives, but for now I'd just
like to see the senders.  What variable(s) do I need to change to get
it working as I'd like?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-02  3:23 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-12-02  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> !  [  31: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] mail 1
>  A [  83: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] conference
>    [ 110: -> <bxf4@yahoo.com>] FW: calculation
>    [  35: -> Brian Flattery   ] RE: Paperwork

> I much prefer if the sender was shown in an incoming box, like this:

> !  [  31: Person Number1] mail 1
>  A [  83: Person Number2] conference
>    [ 110: Someone Else] FW: calculation
>    [  35: Flat Earth ] RE: Paperwork

(setq gnus-extra-headers nil
      nnmail-extra-headers nil)

This is what you are looking for, I think.

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-02 10:16   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-02 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 02 2005, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> !  [  31: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] mail 1
>>  A [  83: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] conference
>>    [ 110: -> <bxf4@yahoo.com>] FW: calculation
>>    [  35: -> Brian Flattery   ] RE: Paperwork
>
>> I much prefer if the sender was shown in an incoming box, like this:
>
>> !  [  31: Person Number1] mail 1
>>  A [  83: Person Number2] conference
>>    [ 110: Someone Else] FW: calculation
>>    [  35: Flat Earth ] RE: Paperwork
>
> (setq gnus-extra-headers nil
>       nnmail-extra-headers nil)
>
> This is what you are looking for, I think.

I don't think that we had changes in that area.  I'd guess that the OP
has set `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to some regexp that matches more
or less everything.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-02 10:58     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-12-02 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, Dec 02 2005, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> (setq gnus-extra-headers nil
>>       nnmail-extra-headers nil)

> I don't think that we had changes in that area.

Oops, you're right.  Setting those variables to nil makes things
get broken.  Sorry.

> I'd guess that the OP has set `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to some
> regexp that matches more or less everything.

That's the best guess.

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-05 20:01     ` bxf4
From: bxf4 @ 2005-12-05 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

>>> !  [  31: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] mail 1
>>>  A [  83: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] conference
>>>    [ 110: -> <bxf4@yahoo.com>] FW: calculation
>>>    [  35: -> Brian Flattery   ] RE: Paperwork
>>
>>> I much prefer if the sender was shown in an incoming box, like this:
>>
>>> !  [  31: Person Number1] mail 1
>>>  A [  83: Person Number2] conference
>>>    [ 110: Someone Else] FW: calculation
>>>    [  35: Flat Earth ] RE: Paperwork
>>
>> (setq gnus-extra-headers nil
>>       nnmail-extra-headers nil)
>>
>> This is what you are looking for, I think.

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies.  I changed nnmail-extra-headers to
nil as above (it had been quote (To Newsgroups)) and the Summary
listings showed up as I'd hoped.  However, in a subsequent email,
someone said that setting this to nil breaks things.  May I ask what
it breaks?  I haven't found out yet.

> I don't think that we had changes in that area.  I'd guess that the OP
> has set `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to some regexp that matches more
> or less everything.

I've never tinkered with gnus-ignored-from-addresses and right now it
is set to "".  I know sed and awk regexps, but not sure where emacs
regexps differ.  I don't think "" should match everything, right?
".*" would match everything, wouldn't it?

Are there other variables relevant to the summary-display?  I've
checked the format statement and it looks just like the one in the
info manual, but it isn't putting the sender where it should.

Thank you both (and any others) for your time and help.

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-05 22:20       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-05 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 05 2005, bxf4@u.washington.edu wrote:

> I've never tinkered with gnus-ignored-from-addresses and right now it
> is set to "".

Please show us the output of `C-h v user-mail-address RET'.
I'd guess it is "" too.

AFAICS, this problem is already fixed in current CVS:

,----
| 2005-10-23  Chong Yidong  <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
|
| 	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-ignored-from-addresses): Handle case where
| 	user-mail-name is an empty string.
`----

Your version doesn't have this fix:

Setting `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to nil or "bxf4@" should do the
trick.

> I know sed and awk regexps, but not sure where emacs regexps differ.
> I don't think "" should match everything, right?  ".*" would match
> everything, wouldn't it?

"" _does_ match _every_ string in Emacs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
@ 2005-12-06  8:07         ` bxf4
From: bxf4 @ 2005-12-06  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 05 2005, bxf4@u.washington.edu wrote:
>
>> I've never tinkered with gnus-ignored-from-addresses and right now it
>> is set to "".
>
> Please show us the output of `C-h v user-mail-address RET'.
> I'd guess it is "" too.

Thank you for your response again.  Here's that output:

user-mail-address is a variable defined in `startup'.
Its value is
"bxf4@u.washington.edu"

> AFAICS, this problem is already fixed in current CVS:
>
> ,----
> | 2005-10-23  Chong Yidong  <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> |
> | 	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-ignored-from-addresses): Handle case where
> | 	user-mail-name is an empty string.
> `----
>
> Your version doesn't have this fix:

> Setting `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to nil or "bxf4@" should do the
> trick.

I'll change this above and see what happens.

>> I know sed and awk regexps, but not sure where emacs regexps differ.
>> I don't think "" should match everything, right?  ".*" would match
>> everything, wouldn't it?
>
> "" _does_ match _every_ string in Emacs.

Well, that does matter...

Thank you again.