* Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-11 17:00 Jarle Thorsen
From: Jarle Thorsen @ 2005-03-11 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to create an nnmaildir group that will read mail from
~/Mail/spam.

However when I try to create the group using "G m" gnus keeps telling me
"Couldn't create group on server:" (IIRC)

Am I missing something on how to create nnmaildir groups? Maybe I am
missing something in my setup?

When searcing this topic on google i stuble over postings talking about
symlinks? Could anybody please explain this to me?

--
Jarle Thorsen
How did Helen Keller go crazy?  Trying to read a stucco wall.

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-14  5:47 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2005-03-14  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
> I am trying to create an nnmaildir group that will read mail from
> ~/Mail/spam.
>
> However when I try to create the group using "G m" gnus keeps telling me
> "Couldn't create group on server:" (IIRC)

You need to create a select method first.  Maybe something like:
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/nnmaildir")))

Create that directory, and create a symlink inside it pointing to the
~/Mail/spam maildir.  Then you should be able to run Gnus and
subscribe to the group.  See the "Maildir" node in the manual for more
details.

> When searcing this topic on google i stuble over postings talking about
> symlinks? Could anybody please explain this to me?

The nnmaildir server's directory should contain maildirs, or symlinks
to maildirs.  If you prefer, you can move the ~/Mail/spam maildir into
the nnmaildir directory, but then you'll also have to change any
references to it in other places.

paul

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-14 21:27   ` Jarle Thorsen
From: Jarle Thorsen @ 2005-03-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
> Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
>> I am trying to create an nnmaildir group that will read mail from
>> ~/Mail/spam.
>>
>> However when I try to create the group using "G m" gnus keeps telling me
>> "Couldn't create group on server:" (IIRC)
>
> You need to create a select method first.  Maybe something like:
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/nnmaildir")))

Do I put this in ~/.gnus or do I only have to run this once?

--
Jarle Thorsen
Q: How many heterosexual males does it take to screw in a light bulb in San Francisco?

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-15  1:00     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2005-03-15  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> You need to create a select method first.  Maybe something like:
>> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>              '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/nnmaildir")))
>
> Do I put this in ~/.gnus or do I only have to run this once?

Put it in .gnus.  But you only need to create the directory once, of
course.

paul

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-16 21:42   ` Jarle Thorsen
From: Jarle Thorsen @ 2005-03-16 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
> Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
>> I am trying to create an nnmaildir group that will read mail from
>> ~/Mail/spam.
>>
>> However when I try to create the group using "G m" gnus keeps telling me
>> "Couldn't create group on server:" (IIRC)
>
> You need to create a select method first.  Maybe something like:
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/nnmaildir")))
>
> Create that directory, and create a symlink inside it pointing to the
> ~/Mail/spam maildir.  Then you should be able to run Gnus and
> subscribe to the group.  See the "Maildir" node in the manual for more
> details.

Do I need to "Make a foreign group" afterwards or should the above take
care of this? I can't find any nnmaildir group in my list when I press "L"...

--
Jarle Thorsen
     What about the blond guy whose wife gave birth to twins?

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-17  6:47     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2005-03-17  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
> I can't find any nnmaildir group in my list when I press "L"...

Type ^ to get to the *Server* buffer, move to the nnmaildir server and
type RET, move to the group (probably just one will be listed) and
type u.  Then type q until you get back to the *Group* buffer, and the
nnmaildir group should be there.

paul

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-17 10:29       ` Jarle Thorsen
From: Jarle Thorsen @ 2005-03-17 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
>> I can't find any nnmaildir group in my list when I press "L"...
>
> Type ^ to get to the *Server* buffer, move to the nnmaildir server and
> type RET, move to the group (probably just one will be listed) and
> type u.  Then type q until you get back to the *Group* buffer, and the
> nnmaildir group should be there.

When I go to the Server buffer I don't have any nnmaildir server??? Maybe

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Mail/nnmaildir")))

in ~/.gnus did not do the trick?

Gnus seems to start without any errors though....

$ls -l ~/Mail/nnmaildir/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 jarle jarle 22 Mar 16 22:31 spam -> /home/jarle/Mail/spam//

(hmmm, why do I have two "/" after spam when I do "ls"? Never seen this
before...)

--
Jarle Thorsen
Bisexuality immediately doubles your chances for a date.

* Re: Creating nnmaildir
@ 2005-03-17 16:40         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2005-03-17 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jarle Thorsen <jarle@genbukan.no> wrote:
> When I go to the Server buffer I don't have any nnmaildir server???

Have you restarted Gnus or reloaded .gnus since you changed it?

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Mail/nnmaildir")))

Different parts of Gnus all use ~/Mail by default, but in different,
incompatible ways.  (I guess they assume they won't all be used at the
same time, but sometimes that's wrong.)  I'd suggest using a different
directory to ensure this doesn't interfere with any other parts of
Gnus.

> $ls -l ~/Mail/nnmaildir/
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 jarle jarle 22 Mar 16 22:31 spam -> /home/jarle/Mail/spam//
>
> (hmmm, why do I have two "/" after spam when I do "ls"? Never seen this
> before...)

I don't know, but you should be able to fix it like this:
$ cd ~/Mail/nnmaildir
$ rm spam
$ ln -s ~/Mail/spam spam

paul