From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: Gnus can not connect to server
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:50:59 -0400	[thread overview]

ronaldf@eml.cc (Ronald Fischer) wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) wrote in message news:<m3adorilbk.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>...
>> Maybe C-g put the server in the "denied" state; Gnus will not try to
>> open a denied server.
>
> This can't be the reason, because
>
> (1) Gnus *first* hung, and only *then* I typed ^G
>
> (2) That strange behaviour is specific to the news server: On some
> news servers, it occurs always, while on others it never occurs.

This does not prove that the server is not being put into the "denied"
state.  It's true that the first hang still needs another explanation,
but if you check the *Server* buffer and see that the sever is denied,
then closing and opening it will save you having to restart Gnus to
recover, assuming you can get your connection back up in the meantime.
The fact that you still can't contact the server even after the
connection comes back strongly suggests that the server is denied.

paul