* Re: How to save the list of newsgroup?
       [not found] <3D6F2397.5010109@yahoo.com.cn>
@ 2002-08-30  0:24 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <m38z2p5e51.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-08-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

xgwu <woohsiaokuang@yahoo.com.cn> writes:

> Gnus start to work, it receive list of all newsgroup from
> "news.cn99.com".  But when I want to subscribe some new group later, I
> still require to download the big list(more then 2M). I am using 56K
> Modem, so it looks slowly.

Yes, I know -- I'm on a slow line, too :-)

Unfortunately, you can't save the newsgroup list.  But if you know the
name of the group you want to subscribe to, you don't have to browse the
server.  You can just use 'U' from the group buffer.

>   Also I found the heads and messages, which I have read,  didn't saved.
>   How can I save them all?

See the node 'Gnus Unplugged' in the manual.  You can also set up a
local news server like Leafnode.

* Re: How to save the list of newsgroup?
       [not found]     ` <m34rddyvlw.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2002-08-30 16:25       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-08-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, you can't save the newsgroup list.
>>
>> Doesn't gnus-save-killed-list or something do that?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> `gnus-browse-foreign-server' [...]

Ah.  I guess it works for primary and secondary servers, then.

paul

* Re: How to save the list of newsgroup?
@ 2002-08-30 19:36         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-08-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>>>
>>> Doesn't gnus-save-killed-list or something do that?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
>> `gnus-browse-foreign-server' [...]
>
> Ah.  I guess it works for primary and secondary servers, then.

Well, no.  If you enter the server buffer and select a server, then the
entire active file will always be downloaded.

But as Sebastian Krause suggested, there's another way to see the
newsgroup list without using the server buffer.