* Re: author is 'nobody' in Drafts?
       [not found] <m3zns7j78n.fsf@killer.jerrysievers.com>
@ 2002-11-19 20:32 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-11-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry Sievers <jerry@jerrysievers.com> writes:

> Hello.  Wondering why messages in the drafts group show up with author
> field set to nobody.
>
> Outgoing mail and news arrives looking fine with my desired identity
> set as expected.

I'm assuming you're talking about the summary buffer in the above
"field set to nobody" comment.

The author is always you in that group, so you may like to display the
destination instead (in the drafts group as well as other groups where
you may be the author).

See the node "To From Newsgroups" in the gnus manual for a way to do
this.  It gets rid of "nobody" and adds some useful information as
well.
--
Benjamin

* Re: author is 'nobody' in Drafts?
@ 2002-11-19 21:16   ` Steven E. Harris
       [not found]     ` <wc3heed5duw.fsf@gamma.cis.ohio-state.edu>
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2002-11-19 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> See the node "To From Newsgroups" in the gnus manual for a way to do
> this. It gets rid of "nobody" and adds some useful information as
> well.

It doesn't for me, even with the %f directive, unless I add the string
"nobody" to gnus-ignored-from-addresses. That's a hack. I would expect
the "To From Newsgroups" algorithm to say:

o If From header is not present   <------ NB: Augmented behavior
    or
  From header matches gnus-ignored-from-addresses
  o If To header is present
    o Display To header contents
  o Else if Newsgroups header is present
    o Display Newsgroups header contents
  o Else
    o Display "nobody"
o Else
  o Display From header contents

Right now, I get "nobody" for all of my Drafts messages because they
all lack the From header.

--
Steven E. Harris        :: seharris@raytheon.com
Raytheon                :: http://www.raytheon.com

* Re: author is 'nobody' in Drafts?
       [not found]       ` <84k7j8wvij.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-11-20 17:52         ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-11-20 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
>> I wonder why all of your messages lack the From header.  All of my
>> drafts, mail or news, have the From header.  Is there a particular
>> reason you've suppressed From?  Maybe you're generating From: at the
>> time of sending?
>
> Generating From at time of sending is the default behavior...

Maybe it's because I use gnus-posting-styles that my from is generated
at composition time.  Maybe that will work for for Steven as well?

Although that would be a bit of a hack.
--
Benjamin

* Re: author is 'nobody' in Drafts?
@ 2002-11-25 18:05           ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2002-11-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Maybe it's because I use gnus-posting-styles that my from is
> generated at composition time.  Maybe that will work for for Steven
> as well?

I use posting styles to specify a non-default From address for certain
conditions, such as when writing personal mail when I'm at work. Those
messages do behave properly in the Drafts group summary. I would
prefer not to use posting styles to specify my /default/ address, as
using an overriding mechanism to re-specify the default is, well ...

> Although that would be a bit of a hack.

Yes, a hack.

If someone knows where the summary composition machinery lives,
perhaps I can try augmenting the current algorithm to better tolerate
an absent From header.

--

@ 2003-01-02 20:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-02 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry Sievers <jerry@jerrysievers.com> writes:

> Hello.  Wondering why messages in the drafts group show up with author
> field set to nobody.

This has been fixed in Oort Gnus (as of minus one minute ago).