* self insert tab in message body
@ 2002-10-07 18:41 Uri Guttman
       [not found] ` <m3elb1rlf9.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Uri Guttman @ 2002-10-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

another change with the most recent gnus is bothering me.

i like to insert hard tabs and now in the message body i get this error:

message-tab: Wrong number of arguments: #<subr self-insert-command>, 0

why would self-insert-command fail with that? i have self-insert-command
bound to tab in text-mode and it works fine there and in other modes.

message-tab is bound to message-tab-body-function

and that is defined to

If nil, the function bound in `text-mode-map' or `global-map' is executed.

which is self-insert-command as you can see by the above error.

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
----- Stem and Perl Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding ----

* Re: self insert tab in message body
       [not found] ` <m3elb1rlf9.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2002-10-09 16:33   ` Uri Guttman
From: Uri Guttman @ 2002-10-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

  JH> Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:
  >> i like to insert hard tabs and now in the message body i get this
  >> error:
  >>
  >> message-tab: Wrong number of arguments: #<subr self-insert-command>, 0
  >>
  >> why would self-insert-command fail with that?

  JH> When `self-insert-command' is called non-interactively, it requires a
  JH> non-optional argument.  In `message-tab' it's called non-interactively.

  JH> A work-around is to define your key-binding like this:

  JH> (define-key text-mode-map "\t"
  JH>   (lambda (&optional n)
  JH>     (interactive "p")
  JH>     (self-insert-command (if n n 1))))

this works only if i eval it after i am in a message buffer. which makes
no sense.

when i get a fresh *mail* buffer it fails as before. i go to .gnus, eval
it and then it works fine. so some how it it doesn't know how to find
the text-mode-map? or should i shut down emacs and restart and see if
that works?

thanx,

uri

--

@ 2002-10-10 16:54     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-10-10 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   JH> Uri Guttman <uri@stemsystems.com> writes:
>   >> i like to insert hard tabs and now in the message body i get this
>   >> error:
>
>   JH> A work-around is to define your key-binding like this:
>
>   JH> (define-key text-mode-map "\t"
>   JH>   (lambda (&optional n)
>   JH>     (interactive "p")
>   JH>     (self-insert-command (if n n 1))))
>
> when i get a fresh *mail* buffer it fails as before. i go to .gnus,
> eval it and then it works fine. so some how it it doesn't know how to
> find the text-mode-map? or should i shut down emacs and restart and
> see if that works?

You should put the code snippet in your .emacs file *instead* of the
definition you have now.  Then restart Emacs and see if works.

* Re: self insert tab in message body
@ 2002-10-14 16:52       ` Uri Guttman
From: Uri Guttman @ 2002-10-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >> this >> error:
  >>
  JH> A work-around is to define your key-binding like this:
  >>
  JH> (define-key text-mode-map "\t" (lambda (&optional n) (interactive
  JH> "p") (self-insert-command (if n n 1))))
  >>  when i get a fresh *mail* buffer it fails as before. i go to
  >> .gnus, eval it and then it works fine. so some how it it doesn't
  >> know how to find the text-mode-map? or should i shut down emacs and
  >> restart and see if that works?

  JH> You should put the code snippet in your .emacs file *instead* of
  JH> the definition you have now.  Then restart Emacs and see if works.

it still doesn't work. i get the same error. i tried to make it a global
key with just insert-string (since i want tab to insert by default) and
it is trying the old function. i think i have to restart emacs as it
seems to cache the function definition. this is most annoying.

uri