* Converting from local MH to IMAP (on remote Maildir)
@ 2005-10-19 11:52 Lars Tobias Børsting
From: Lars Tobias Børsting @ 2005-10-19 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the IT department is switching from mail storage on the home directory
to only IMAP for mail. There is a Courier-IMAP server set up that stores
mail in the Maildir format. I have shell access to the IMAP server.

I have all my mailboxes stored on my home directory in MH format and
wish to move all my mail to the IMAP server. As I see it I have several
possible ways to do this.

1. I can change all my mail splitting rules to sort to IMAP folders, and
   then respool all folders in Gnus.

2. I can manually copy each folder's content to IMAP folder in Gnus.

3. I can login to a shell on the IMAP server and run this
   script on each folder:
          http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/mh2maildir

What is especially important to me is to keep all the flags on the
messages (really only the A and R flags). Recent experiences with
the respool folder function (M P b B r) does not keep the flags.

What do you suggest I do to move my mail so that I can keep my flags?

--
Regards,

Lars Tobias Børsting

* Re: Converting from local MH to IMAP (on remote Maildir)
@ 2005-10-19 20:11 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2005-10-19 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Tobias Børsting <lars.tobias.borsting@ntnu.no> writes:

> 1. I can change all my mail splitting rules to sort to IMAP folders, and
>    then respool all folders in Gnus.
>
> 2. I can manually copy each folder's content to IMAP folder in Gnus.
>
> 3. I can login to a shell on the IMAP server and run this
>    script on each folder:
>           http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/mh2maildir
>
> What is especially important to me is to keep all the flags on the
> messages (really only the A and R flags). Recent experiences with
> the respool folder function (M P b B r) does not keep the flags.
>
> What do you suggest I do to move my mail so that I can keep my flags?

I think only method 2 will preserve marks.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough