From: Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 still a problem
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:07:37 +0200	[thread overview]

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:
>
>> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean by "difference". For a difference,
>>> two things are required, but I don't know what they are. (One of
>>> then is probably C-x RET c utf-8 C-x C-f /path/to/utf-8/file RET.)
>>
>> It looks as if I just opened it and viewed it in ISO 8859 without
>> trying to tell Emacs it is a utf-8 encoded file. The multibyte
>> characters are not changed into something intelligeble.
>
> Ah.  So you mean that
>
>     C-x RET c latin-1 RET C-x C-f /path/to/file RET
>
> and
>
>     C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f /path/to/file RET
>
> produce the same visible result?

Yes, both look like it is trying to do Latin-1.

> That's strange.  What kind of file are we talking about?

The test file you recommended earlier. And some posts I saved in UTF.

>>> Maybe post in gnu.emacs.help that UTF-8 isn't working and describe
>>> what you do, what you see, what you expect to see.
>>
>> I have trouble with even describeing the problem since I don't know
>> what is the problem. Am I doing something I should not? Or missing
>> to do something I should not. Is my version of Emacs requiring
>> something special in .emacs to turn on MULE or what it is that
>> handle different charsets.
>
> Emacs 21.2 has Mule turned on by default. So unless you do "emacs
> --unibyte" or set the variable default-enable-multibyte-characters,
> it will be on. (Even with those things, Mule will be on, but behave
> differently.)

Okay, I am not messing around with any of those.

> Hm.  Also (standard-display-european 1) will do bad things.  Don't
> use it.

I had that set before, but commented it out some fortnights ago.

> What happens with the C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f /path/to/file RET
> command in an Emacs started with "emacs -q -no-site-file"?

Damn. Though I do not have all the glyphs, now the encoding looks
right.

I am running RedHat, is it possible they got a site-file somewhere
that is screwing this up? Where is such a file usually located?

--
AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai AOL: Ichimusai1972 MSN:
Ichimusai IRC: Ichimusai#AmigaSWE@IRCnet URL: