* Removing HTML tags in console mode (was Hotmail HTML Mail)
       [not found] <m3fzyqnkrl.fsf@latakia.dyndns.org>
@ 2002-07-11 22:55 ` Sherilyn
From: Sherilyn @ 2002-07-11 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:

> I've various correspondents who send HTML mail (yes, I know).  Gnus
> can display this just fine (using w3, perhaps?) in X, but shows
> nothing on a console.  Anyone know of a way to get HTML mail to work
> in a console?  At home it's not an issue, but when I'm sshed in, as
> from work, it is a nuisance (what I do is save to a file, then open
> the file and parse the HTML myself; it's easy enough).

As an alternative, I am training one or two recalcitrant colleagues
not to send me html in email.  I simply quote a section back at them and they
soon get the message when they see what a mess it looks.  I recognise
that this isn't an option if you work in a big company with a wide
mailing list.

It should be quite easy to write a simple-minded wash option that just
replaces anything in angle brackets with a space and wraps any
resulting long lines.  This would enable you to see the text your
colleague actually wrote.  Or you could pipe it through an external
program like Michael Haardt's dehtml utility using (shell-command).

        http://www.moria.de/~michael/dehtml/
--
Sherilyn
http://www.greedycorporate.com/minority-report/

* Re: Removing HTML tags in console mode (was Hotmail HTML Mail)
@ 2002-07-12  2:33   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-07-12  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sherilyn <sherilyn@suespammers.org> writes:

> It should be quite easy to write a simple-minded wash option that just
> replaces anything in angle brackets with a space and wraps any
> resulting long lines. [..] Or you could pipe it through an external
> program like Michael Haardt's dehtml utility using (shell-command).

I think Oort Gnus includes something similar:

;;; html2text.el --- a simple html to plain text converter

;; Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Author: Joakim Hove <hove@phys.ntnu.no>

;;; Commentary:

;; These functions provide a simple way to wash/clean html infected
;; mails.  Definitely do not work in all cases, but some improvement
;; in readability is generally obtained. Formatting is only done in
;; the buffer, so the next time you enter the article it will be
;; "re-htmlized".
;;
;; The main function is "html2text"