* nnimap, tick mark not synced when reading from 2 computers
@ 2012-11-25 10:32 Par Kurlberg
From: Par Kurlberg @ 2012-11-25 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Work mail is kept on an exchange server, and I access it from two
computers (one laptop, the other my work desktop) using gnus+nnimap.
Recently (I think it is after I upgraded to emacs 24) I have had trouble
with tick marks not being synced properly.  E.g., when I untick a
message on my laptop, it is remains ticked in the summary buffer on my
desktop.  As far as I can tell, the %Flagged flag on the imap server is
being set/reset correctly from either client, but it seems like gnus
uses the information in ~/.newsrc.eld, and this overrides the flags on
the server.  (This suspicion could be wrong.)

Any hints on how to fix this?  (Or hints on how to debug it?)

Best,
Par

PS: Some system info

Computer 1 (macos)

GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0, GTK+ Version 2.18.9) of
2012-06-20 on odin.local

Gnus v5.13

Computer 2 (ubuntu)

GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of 2012-06-21\

Gnus v5.13

* Re: nnimap, tick mark not synced when reading from 2 computers
@ 2012-11-25 19:36 ` William Gardella
       [not found]   ` <m2haodtoe2.fsf@math.kth.se>
From: William Gardella @ 2012-11-25 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Par,

Par Kurlberg <kurlberg-zCiYWW5xviIwFerOooGFRg@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Work mail is kept on an exchange server, and I access it from two
> computers (one laptop, the other my work desktop) using gnus+nnimap.
> Recently (I think it is after I upgraded to emacs 24) I have had trouble
> with tick marks not being synced properly.  E.g., when I untick a
> message on my laptop, it is remains ticked in the summary buffer on my
> desktop.  As far as I can tell, the %Flagged flag on the imap server is
> being set/reset correctly from either client, but it seems like gnus
> uses the information in ~/.newsrc.eld, and this overrides the flags on
> the server.  (This suspicion could be wrong.)

May we see the nnimap portion of your Gnus configuration?  Also, which
way are you using nnimap (as a mail source, or as primary/secondry
select method)?  I use 2 nnimap servers as secondary select method on
three Debian boxen in Emacs 24.2.1, and the marks in each system's Gnus
nnimap groups seem to match up with each other and their respective IMAP
servers.

Best,
WGG

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)

* Re: nnimap, tick mark not synced when reading from 2 computers
       [not found]         ` <87a9u4gusr.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2013-06-23 21:33           ` Par Kurlberg
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2268.1372023929.22516.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Par Kurlberg @ 2013-06-23 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english; +Cc: William Gardella

Dear Will,

The problem has returned with a vengeance.  For messages kept on an IMAP
mail server (accessed via nnimap), the act of clearing the tick mark (on
the server) does not make it to gnus.  I've tried setting/unsetting the
tick (I think it is called "Flagged" on the imap end) using thunderbird,
and the unticking is not "seen" by gnus, where ticking does work.
Setting gnus-agent-synchronize-flags to t does not solve the
unticking-not-seen problem.

Any further suggestions?  (I've tried accessing the imap inbox from a
newly created test account in order to make sure that some old
gnus-related cruft is causing the problem, but no change.)

Best,
Par

PS: The emacs/gnus versions are:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2, GTK+ Version 2.18.9) of 2013-03-29 on odin.lan

Gnus v5.13

@ 2013-08-01 11:13             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Par Kurlberg; +Cc: William Gardella, info-gnus-english

Par Kurlberg <kurlberg@math.kth.se> writes:

> The problem has returned with a vengeance.  For messages kept on an IMAP
> mail server (accessed via nnimap), the act of clearing the tick mark (on
> the server) does not make it to gnus.  I've tried setting/unsetting the
> tick (I think it is called "Flagged" on the imap end) using thunderbird,
> and the unticking is not "seen" by gnus, where ticking does work.

It works for me when I test.  What IMAP server type are you using?

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php