* Re: Read/expiry marks in mail groups with autoexpire
       [not found] <87ekzbq7hx.fsf@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>
@ 2003-08-24 18:59 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-24 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> I use autoexpire in my nnfolder mail groups. When I want to keep a
> message, I mark it with the `d' command after reading it.
>
> How can I prevent Gnus from changing the mark from `O' to `E' when I
> access a message previously marked with `d'?

You could use `?' rather than `d' to make the message unexpirable.

@ 2003-08-28 20:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-28 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> From time to time I happen to browse old messages originally marked
> with `d': I access the mail group and select articles for reading
> (e.g. `Enter' in summary buffer), but Gnus changes the mark from `O'
> to `E'. This makes the message expirable, which is annoying because I
> would like to keep it.
>
> How can I prevent Gnus from changing the mark from `O' to `E' when I
> access a message previously marked with `d'?

I don't like this behavior.  I have the following code to change it:

;; Use this for auto-expire only.
(remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
             'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
(add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)

Maybe it works for you, too.

There is also gnus-select-article-hook.  One of
gnus-select-article-hook and gnus-mark-article-hook is run only when
selecting the article for the first time, the other is run every time.
I'm too lazy to read the docs to find out which is which.  Not sure if
this is a better approach to doing things.  I vaguely recall having
had problems with it.  But this was, like, in 1997.  Too long ago...
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.