* gnus-select-method waffling
@ 2003-08-11 17:35 David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-08-11 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my .emacs file, I have

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news"))

I just realized today that this puts me at the mercy of DNS for
figuring out what news server it is I get; this means that I was
(apparently randomly) getting non-existent groups, losing counts on
which articles are read in news groups, and so on.

How hosed is my .newsrc.eld likely to be?  Are there going to be any
subtle lingering effects if I switch to using the FQDN of the server I
really want?  I don't actually read that many newsgroups, and have
been thinking of switching to '(nnnil ""); are there any real
downsides to this (beyond having to resubscribe to newsgroups and
typing long names, but I've already lost readness information so
that's no such a concern)?  And if I do that, are there compelling
reasons to put the nntp server in gnus-secondary-select-methods?

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell

* Re: gnus-select-method waffling
@ 2003-08-14 18:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-08-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> How hosed is my .newsrc.eld likely to be?  Are there going to be any
> subtle lingering effects if I switch to using the FQDN of the server I
> really want?

Probably not if you just do it for the primary select method.