* how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
@ 2007-10-22 19:13 Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I think the subject says it all. I hate any editor "automatically" doing
anything with my text.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

* Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
@ 2007-10-25 11:40 ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-25 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> I think the subject says it all. I hate any editor "automatically" doing
> anything with my text.

Is this difficult? It also changed when I upgraded to the development
version of gnus.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  Who are you and who am I?"

@ 2007-10-26  7:49   ` Torben Knudsen
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2007-10-26  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>> I think the subject says it all. I hate any editor "automatically"
>> doing anything with my text.

auto-fill-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(auto-fill-mode &optional ARG)

Toggle Auto Fill mode.
With arg, turn Auto Fill mode on if and only if arg is positive.
In Auto Fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond `current-fill-column'
automatically breaks the line at a previous space.

The value of `normal-auto-fill-function' specifies the function to use
for `auto-fill-function' when turning Auto Fill mode on.
--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen	Phone	: (+45) 9635 8670
Section of Automation and Control,	Email	: tk@es.aau.dk

* Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
@ 2007-10-26 19:07     ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-26 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:

> Randy> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>> I think the subject says it all. I hate any editor "automatically"
>>> doing anything with my text.
>
> auto-fill-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> (auto-fill-mode &optional ARG)
>
> Toggle Auto Fill mode.
> With arg, turn Auto Fill mode on if and only if arg is positive.
> In Auto Fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond `current-fill-column'
> automatically breaks the line at a previous space.
>
> The value of `normal-auto-fill-function' specifies the function to use
> for `auto-fill-function' when turning Auto Fill mode on.

I guess the development version of gnus pays attention to this while the
older version did not.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %       'cause no one knows which side

@ 2007-10-26 20:35       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-26 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, Oct 26 2007, Randy Yates wrote:

> [...]

No, I don't understand the syntax-completion part.  Please describe
exactly what you mean.  As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe
the bug in annoying, painstaking detail."

WRT auto-fill, `C-h i d m Message RET' (Message manual), `i auto-fill'
leads directly to...

,----[ (info "(message)Various Message Variables") ]
`----

> I guess the development version of gnus pays attention to this while the
> older version did not.

When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...

,----[ (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ]
|    * Changes in Message mode
|
|    [...]
|
|         * `auto-fill-mode' is enabled by default in Message mode.  See
|           `message-fill-column'.  *Note Message Headers:
|           (message)Various Message Variables.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
@ 2007-10-27 17:33         ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> No, I don't understand the syntax-completion part.  Please describe
> exactly what you mean.  As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe
> the bug in annoying, painstaking detail."

Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
bug report.

By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
modes.

I thought that auto-filling may be part of a general syntax-completion
methodology for the major/minor mode used by gnus for message editing.
Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
"automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
as well as auto-fill.

> WRT auto-fill, `C-h i d m Message RET' (Message manual), `i auto-fill'
> leads directly to...

> ,----[ (info "(message)Various Message Variables") ]
> | `message-fill-column'
> |      Local value for the column beyond which automatic line-wrapping
> |      should happen for message buffers.  If non-nil (the default), also
> |      turn on auto-fill in message buffers.
> `----
>
>> I guess the development version of gnus pays attention to this while the
>> older version did not.
>
> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...

Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?

By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
development version?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %                    and kiss her interface,

@ 2007-10-27 20:21           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-27 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Oct 27 2007, Randy Yates wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe the bug in annoying,
>> painstaking detail."
> Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
> bug report.

Nevertheless you can describe your problem/question/whatever in
annoying, painstaking detail.

> By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
> after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
> modes.

I.e. you didn't observe this in message mode?

> Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
> "automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
> as well as auto-fill.

I have enabled it by default because overlong lines are bad netiquette
and most people like to have it on by default.  Cf. the FAQ (info
"(gnus)[5.2]"): "How to enable automatic word-wrap when composing
messages?".

>> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...
>
> Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?

As you already guessed, the behavior changed since 5.10.*, so it's
quite plausible to look under "New Features" in the manual or
something names "*-NEWS" in the distribution tar-ball.  Isn't it?

> By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
> development version?

In the source distribution, do...

  cd texi; make pdf

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how to disable auto-filling and other syntax-completion actions in article editing mode?
@ 2007-10-27 21:19             ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, Oct 27 2007, Randy Yates wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> As `M-x gnus-bug RET' says: "Please describe the bug in annoying,
>>> painstaking detail."
>> Well I didn't consider it a bug so I didn't think I needed to make a
>> bug report.
>
> Nevertheless you can describe your problem/question/whatever in
> annoying, painstaking detail.

I could, yes. However, I won't. I will describe it with "sufficient"
detail. If there is something you don't understand, ask for
clarification.

>> By syntax-completion, I mean things such as automatic indentation
>> after a <RET> that occurs when in certain programming language major
>> modes.
>
> I.e. you didn't observe this in message mode?

The truth is, I *thought* I observed some sort of "syntax-completion"
action (that wasn't just auto-filling) in message mode once, but I
accidently deleted it so quickly I didn't get a chance to see what it
was.

>> Since, as I stated, I don't like any editor I use to insert text
>> "automagically" for me at any time, I would want this behavior disabled
>> as well as auto-fill.
>
> I have enabled it by default because overlong lines are bad netiquette
> and most people like to have it on by default.  Cf. the FAQ (info
> "(gnus)[5.2]"): "How to enable automatic word-wrap when composing
> messages?".

I'm not questioning the validity of the default value, just asking
how to turn it off.

>>> When upgrading you should always read GNUS-NEWS aka...
>>
>> Unless someone told me to read it, how would I know?
>
> As you already guessed, the behavior changed since 5.10.*, so it's
> quite plausible to look under "New Features" in the manual or
> something names "*-NEWS" in the distribution tar-ball.  Isn't it?

A hell of a lot of things are plausible, if you have the time.

>> By the way, is there a PDF of the updated manual for the gnus
>> development version?
>
> In the source distribution, do...
>
>   cd texi; make pdf

A straightforward response to a simple question. Thanks.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "How's life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  ... What is it worth?"

@ 2007-12-28  0:10     ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-12-28  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Randy> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>> I think the subject says it all. I hate any editor "automatically"
>>> doing anything with my text.
>
> auto-fill-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> (auto-fill-mode &optional ARG)
>
> Toggle Auto Fill mode.
> With arg, turn Auto Fill mode on if and only if arg is positive.
> In Auto Fill mode, inserting a space at a column beyond `current-fill-column'
> automatically breaks the line at a previous space.
>
> The value of `normal-auto-fill-function' specifies the function to use
> for `auto-fill-function' when turning Auto Fill mode on.

A belated thanks!